Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i have been having a increasingly frustrating problem with my alto. I'll set it up and start playing, my saxophone will perform fantastic. Then everything goes downhill. My saxophone will refuse to play any note lower than a B( the on right in the middle of the scale) and the reed will not vibrate. if i try to force the note out, it will loudly squeak. Then maybe a minute later, i can play any note with no difficulty at all, like usually do. Cycle Repeats. What is my problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I only notice a change if I play for more than 4 actives with hard practicing on my alto, but just a bit of fuzz to the sound, nothing like that, that's horrible. I agree with the new reed, sometimes after practicing a long time my reed gets a bit weak after playing for a while, and then next time around it's good after resting.

Perhaps you have a little crack somewhere and what is happening is as you play more and the reed becomes more moist the crack affects your playing more.
Complete guess though

·
Registered
726 Posts
...I don't know if I'm being stupid here, but don't you mean G and A? Agree with the octave mechanism though, also check to make sure that the G octave closes when you move to A.

Also +1 on the leak light thing, a good strong LED in the bathroom with the lights off works great, I use the little key chain one and hang it in.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,415 Posts
Do you have a teacher or experienced sax playing friend that can watch/listen to what you are doing?
Or maybe even give your horn a good playing to see if the same problem happens to them?
And to be on the 'safe' side a trip to the tech for a good looking over wouldn't hurt. Especially if you are a new player.

·
Registered
241 Posts
...I don't know if I'm being stupid here, but don't you mean G and A? Agree with the octave mechanism though, also check to make sure that the G octave closes when you move to A.

Also +1 on the leak light thing, a good strong LED in the bathroom with the lights off works great, I use the little key chain one and hang it in.
Sorry I had a brain fart at work... I meant G to A. If you've been playing the rest of your horn and it has trouble it could be that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts