Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing a v16 on my yani alto for about 8 or so months now and I'm really frustrated with it. It's a decent mouthpiece, but they're just something missing. I see a lot of great players on the same piece, but it's not quite the sound I'm into. I've really been digging the sounds of Charles Pillow, Cannonball Adderley and Douglas Yates lately.

·
1,596 Posts
Whats your budget?

·
1,596 Posts
Hmm, I'd look at the Phil-Tone Custom MeYer. and check out his Custom Piece, as well as the Warburton Mouthpieces. All hand faced by people who really know what they're doing.

·
1,629 Posts
I have a Yani alto and used to play a V16 S8 (like Antonio Hart). Well, I didn't sound like him at all :) Yani altos are very mouthpiece friendly. I have a collection of HR Links ranging from 5 to 8 and they work very well on my alto (I'm after a fat, bebop sound ála Cannonball, Jesse Davis etc.) I also have a vintage ToneMaster Link which is really a great mouthpiece. Also a HR Meyer is a good choice. There are so many options.. too many.. Try a HR Link, Meyer in the range of 0.075 - 0.085 and that will have more character than the V16 in my opinion. Metal Links (against popular opinion) work great on Yani altos too.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Try other Vandoren mouthpieces. The Jumbo Series for alto can be bright but with the right reed it can also be extremely effective for a lot of genre'.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I am using a Yanagisawa Alto and she is mouthpiece friendly indeed.
you wanna consider getting your alto for some servicing before you start your mpc testing.

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using a Yanagisawa Alto and she is mouthpiece friendly indeed.
you wanna consider getting your alto for some servicing before you start your mpc testing.
I just did actually, it's playing really great now. My yani is a bit atypical in that it plays really dark. The more alto players I listen to the more I want a fairly bright sound. Not like Sanborn, but something nice and big and pretty edgy.

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try other Vandoren mouthpieces. The Jumbo Series for alto can be bright but with the right reed it can also be extremely effective for a lot of genre'.

B
I was thinking about these pieces; do you think you can get a big fat sound without too much high end?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was thinking about these pieces; do you think you can get a big fat sound without too much high end?
I used to use a Jumbo Java before switching to my Rovner. Yeah, I got a pretty fat sound on them... but results may vary, as always.

I think Metalites are a more versatile mouthpiece than the Jumbo Java. They're bright, but with more "guts" than the JJ. Some other members on here might agree. They're only $20-$40 depending on where you find them!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a V16 alto 6M. Compared to my modern Meyer 7MM I think it plays brighter (a little too bright for my taste actually). The V16 has a more pronounced and longer roll-over baffle. I once had a blue jumbo java alto piece (A45??). I don't miss that one!!

Kulos

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Not a big fat sound but with a dark horn to begin with it is really plays clearly for me.

I mostly use a Jumbo Java A55 and find it is not as bright as the A45 I use for fusion work.

What works for my horn might not work with yours.

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts