Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm a high school sax player at niceville high and I've been trying to extend my range to get more points on auditions. I've tried almost every setup, tongue position, and method book. I've been doing overtone every stinking day for about a year and can still only hit the 5th on b flat to d and octave on everything from d sharp to the c sharp above that. And when I apply it to special fingering I cant get past a g. I cant figure out what in the world i'm doing wrong and am really tired of having no chance at all county or other auditions due to people playing 3 octave scales and such. I'd love it if some of the pros gave me some advice.

alto sax
vandoren V5 A28 mouthpiece
alexander classic size 3

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Well, whatever it is that is wrong probably isn't the lack of practising overtones. But it could be one (or more) of so many things. The best person to ask is your teacher, it would be very difficult for us to diagnose a problem like that over the internet.

Apart from equipment, the problem is likely to be somewhere in your breathing and embouchure. But I would also get evey book you can get hold of on altissimo and do all the exercises in them, not just overtones.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
...........I cant get past a g............
Playing a G3 altissimo note on the alto is difficult for many of us - I can rarely hit it. Can you play the A3, perhaps by fingering (octave)oxx xxx ? I find this speaks even a little clearer for me if I also close the low C and Bb keys.

Does G#3 work for you? I can get this via (octave)xox xox plus the side C trill key.

How do your E3 and F3 notes sound when played using the frontF key - meaning for E3, you would finger (octave)(frontF)oxx ooo - and for F3 finger the same but lift your finger off the G key?
How do these frontF based E3 and F3 notes sound compared to playing the same notes instead with the palm keys?

·
Registered
147 Posts
In high school I was able to play up to B4, but did that necessarily make me any better than others. Not exactly. What are their playing styles like, you have to remember that altissimo, multiphonics or split tones are something that should be used sparingly. I'm not trying to get you away from mastering altssimo, but, there might be something else you have that could give you an upper hand.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
..you have to remember that altissimo, multiphonics or split tones are something that should be used sparingly..
Exactly. I don't understand all the emphasis on altissimo for high school students! Especially on ALTO. Bird rarely used it and he did all right.

I'm not saying don't learn it. But take your time and don't stress out over it. Learn one altissimo note at a time. Start with F# maybe. A is a pretty stable one also. But find one you can do and work on it until you play it well. Then move to another.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think I'm one of the few that didn't have trouble with G3. The fingering I I use can only be used on modern saxes since it uses the the f sharp key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts