Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me Yamaha YTS-23 that is in excellent condition except for an issue with the front f key. It appears to be missing cork on the bottom of the key near its contact point with the palm key. As a result, the key itself sort of floats freely with gravity and the metal on metal contact with the body is annoying. I'm not sure if there should be felt or cork between the top of this key and the bottom of the palm key but in this case it too is metal to metal.

How thick should the cork be between the bottom of this key and the body of the sax? Should there be any gap between the bottom of the cork and the body? Should there be felt or cork between the top of the front f key and its contact point with the palm key? I'm happy to post a picture if my description is not enough.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
How thick should the cork be between the bottom of this key and the body of the sax? Should there be any gap between the bottom of the cork and the body? Should there be felt or cork between the top of the front f key and its contact point with the palm key? I'm happy to post a picture if my description is not enough.

Thanks,

Mark
Sorry nobody answered your question yet, you have by now probably answered it yourself.

There should be cork either on the underside of the palm key or on the topside of the Front F rocker key. It should be of a thickness sufficient to keep the front F touch from having too much play, but still thin enough to assure that when the Front F is NOT engaged, the palm key remains completely closed (not cracked open a hair).

I believe most 23's have the see-saw, single-key-on-single-saddle front F mechanism (as opposed to a 2-piece where the touch is part of upper stack and rocker is a separate key), in which case, yes, a small piece of cork on the underside of the Front F key at the palmkey end is necessary so the metal key doesn't hit the body.

IF your horn has the 2-piece mechanism (Front F keytouch is part of the upper stack), then no cork beneath the rocker end should be required.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Quite a good idea to include a low-friction material eg PTFE in that linkage where there is a considerable rubbing action.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
It’s actually a balance of a few things, first everyone is different for high f, We all need different opening amounts for a clear note.

If you have never done it before, then simply cork three points with thinnest cork you can find, under the f key itself where the lever contacts, at the base of the rocker where it rest on the body and under the touch pearl point

Manipulation of the thickness of each of these three corks will reduce any lost motion and or increase decrease the lift of the f key.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts