Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(if you use the front-F + side Bb fingering ;))

I am finally making progress with G3 and can almost conjure it at will... but I have to keep front-F halfway opened. In that position it is impossible (for me) to play front-f versions of F and E whereas they sing when front-F is fully depressed.

So what do you do?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,573 Posts
I am definitely not a fluid altissimo player, but I am sure that having a key partially depressed will limit your ability to play up there consistently. I can usually get a good sounding G3 on my Cannonball and Barone with front F (all the way down) + side Bb...The trick for me is no octave key. If it doesn't pop, I sometimes add G# and, or Eb and it helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I would recommend B plus side f# key for G3 fingering. I never could rely on this one

·
4,580 Posts
I would recommend B plus side f# key for G3 fingering. I never could rely on this one
Same fingering I use, it's very easy to hit and stable. Can also add Bis Bb for F#3 if you'd like. This all assuming you have a high F# key...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
On my Mark VI tenor, I have the F fork key adjusted so it does not open all the way, and it produces a fabulous high G. I also use it in my F# fingering. I've played a number of other saxes, however, where it does not seem to make as big a difference in the production of the G. I use a different fingering on alto for high G (1,3,1, and side Bb).

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0

·
6,862 Posts
On my Mark VI tenor, I have the F fork key adjusted so it does not open all the way, and it produces a fabulous high G. I also use it in my F# fingering. I've played a number of other saxes, however, where it does not seem to make as big a difference in the production of the G. I use a different fingering on alto for high G (1,3,1, and side Bb).

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Approximately how much difference is there in the key heights between your palm F and your front F? My tech likes to set the Front F at about half the palm F.

I think if you want to radically close the front F--basically to a sliver sized vent--you'll have to give up the front E and F notes and just use the palms.

I gather that there is a way to use the palm key to manually adjust/vent the opening while playing, but I've never been able to figure out a comfortable way to do this on my Martin :(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Jeff, once you spend some more time on the G and learn exactly where the voicing is, you will be able to get it out with any opening on the front F key, or with any number of other fingerings. Don't sacrifice the front F and E, as eventually having those there will make for a much more fluid transition into the altissimo than going from palm F right to front G.

·
6,862 Posts
Jeff, once you spend some more time on the G and learn exactly where the voicing is, you will be able to get it out with any opening on the front F key, or with any number of other fingerings. Don't sacrifice the front F and E, as eventually having those there will make for a much more fluid transition into the altissimo than going from palm F right to front G.
FWIW: this is exactly the advice my tech gave me. :thumbrig:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you for all the advices! I take it that nobody press the front-F only partially?

I am definitely not a fluid altissimo player, but I am sure that having a key partially depressed will limit your ability to play up there consistently. I can usually get a good sounding G3 on my Cannonball and Barone with front F (all the way down) + side Bb...The trick for me is no octave key. If it doesn't pop, I sometimes add G# and, or Eb and it helps.
It is on my Barone Classic Tenor so I'll try this tonight thank you :)

Side f#? You mean the high F# key or the alternate f# key?

Same fingering I use, it's very easy to hit and stable. Can also add Bis Bb for F#3 if you'd like. This all assuming you have a high F# key...
I do have the high F# key, that's actually the first fingering that I could sound G3 with. Now, just for laugh, I was happy to get a sax with a high f# key but in truth the key feels uncomfortable almost awkward to use. Of course I am not used to it but so far my favorite fingering for F#3 is actually front-F +000|X00 :p Wonder if my sax as one key/hole too many now :p

My front-F does not open all the way. I'll really curious to try the underline fingering, thank you! I have been practicing this F3 fingering (XX0|XX0 no front-f) that another member suggested as a practice and I am starting to manage it, altough my note is slow to converge from multiphonic to F3. That G3 fingering you suggested could be very fluid to go from that F3! Any F#3 and G3# based on the same patterns (i.e. without front-f)?

Approximately how much difference is there in the key heights between your palm F and your front F? My tech likes to set the Front F at about half the palm F.

I think if you want to radically close the front F--basically to a sliver sized vent--you'll have to give up the front E and F notes and just use the palms.
My front-F key open about 2/3 or 3/4 of what my palm F opens.

I gather that there is a way to use the palm key to manually adjust/vent the opening while playing, but I've never been able to figure out a comfortable way to do this on my Martin :(
You mean in order to play the front-F & E while having a front-F that opens less?

Ever since I learned the front-F F & E they have been my default! That's actually why I started this thread, since I don't want my front-f to be closed to the point of blocking my front-F & E fingering.

Again thank you for all the answer :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the results of experimenting with the fingering you gave me!

Huge thanks SWPerry, Front-F + side Bb (NO Ocatve) is VERY reliable and easy. But I'll need to have my front-F key adjusted so it does not open as much. I found a partial position where the Front-F and E are still ok at least a bit less clear and where the G3 sing!!! (Thanks RLeitch for reminding me that this can (and should) be adjusted!)

Randy, the 1,3,1 + side Bb is a quarter tone flat for me. It is actually closer to a F#3 than a G3 :( Any alteration of that fingering to raise it a bit?

Thanks Piwikiki, the funny thing is altough B + high F# was the first fingering with which I sounded G3 the Front-F + Bb (no octave) is actually easier and much richer/clearer!

dshook, I hear what you say about once I learn it, but I wonder with as open as my front-F is how long it would take me as right now can call G3 almost at will but it vanishes despite all my attempt when I push my front-F to its full travel :(

Again thanks for all the advice!!! Making progress is sweet! Now on to G#3! Any fingering suggestion? SWPerry your last one was golden :cheers: could share your favorite G#3, A3, Bb4, B etc fingering please? :mrgreen:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
(if you use the front-F + side Bb fingering ;))

I am finally making progress with G3 and can almost conjure it at will... but I have to keep front-F halfway opened. In that position it is impossible (for me) to play front-f versions of F and E whereas they sing when front-F is fully depressed.

So what do you do?
Depends on which horn! BTW, none of mine have a high F#.

Soprano -- fuhgeddaboudit
Alto: oxox xoo + side Bb
Tenor: xooo ooo (fully open)
Bari: oxox xoo + side C

·
3,573 Posts
Here's the results of experimenting with the fingering you gave me!

Huge thanks SWPerry, Front-F + side Bb (NO Ocatve) is VERY reliable and easy. But I'll need to have my front-F key adjusted so it does not open as much. I found a partial position where the Front-F and E are still ok at least a bit less clear and where the G3 sing!!! (Thanks RLeitch for reminding me that this can (and should) be adjusted!)

Randy, the 1,3,1 + side Bb is a quarter tone flat for me. It is actually closer to a F#3 than a G3 :( Any alteration of that fingering to raise it a bit?

Thanks Piwikiki, the funny thing is altough B + high F# was the first fingering with which I sounded G3 the Front-F + Bb (no octave) is actually easier and much richer/clearer!

dshook, I hear what you say about once I learn it, but I wonder with as open as my front-F is how long it would take me as right now can call G3 almost at will but it vanishes despite all my attempt when I push my front-F to its full travel :(

Again thanks for all the advice!!! Making progress is sweet! Now on to G#3! Any fingering suggestion? SWPerry your last one was golden :cheers: could share your favorite G#3, A3, Bb4, B etc fingering please? :mrgreen:
Jeff, Glad I could help.

G#3 is a tough one for me, but I have fair success with either:

0/0XXG#/X00 plus side Bb
0/X0X/X00 plus side C

A3 is pretty easy on most horns, and all the usuals work well. Just pick the one that is most in tune for you.

Bb4 for me is:

0/0XX/XXX plus side C (take off the side C for a great A3).

My best B:

palm E plus 0/0XX/X00.

·
3,573 Posts
This is the fingering I use too, minus the G#, which actually doesn't do anything with that fingering anyhow as your right first finger is down. You can also get a Bb from 00X/000 or 00X/XXX.
You are right dshook, I should have clarified. As I said, the G#3 is a bit squirrelly for me at this point, so I start with just 0XXG#/000 + side Bb. If it isn't sounding good, sometimes pressing down low F brings it more in tune.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it looks like G#3 is going to be yet another challenge!

I couldn't come close to sound a third octave note with neither of the G#3 fingering you suggested :( So far I am challenged with altissimo fingerings NOT involving the front-F... Matter of fact there are only 2 I can play: G3 using left 1 + high F# key and F3 using xx0|xx0 and this one is hard to start sounding for me.

Any suggestion as a stepping stone for the non front-F fingering? The one I am using is F3 for now.

SWPerry as to you suggestion for an A3 fingering all the usuals work well. Just pick the one that is most in tune for you. I tried a few but none sounded at all. Which one(s) do you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you I'll try them :)

Seeing that no front-F is involved my guess is that it might take a while for me to get there...! Oh well I now have much better control of G3 thanks to your no ocatve key fingering :bluewink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts