Sax on the Web Forum banner

From New Wonder Bari to Tranny

1980 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  silverselmer
I'm the happy owner of a superb 1926 New Wonder (or New Wonder I) bari. Can anyone state the differences between this model and the Transitional ("a la" Mulligan) which appeared a couple of years later (apart from the position of the octave mechanism)?
1 - 3 of 18 Posts
The Series I New Wonder bari's are only keyed to Eb3. They'll also play whack sharp with anything but an old, fat, pickle-barrel style mouthpiece or a modern large chambered piece with an extra long shank.
Jacques5646 said:
I'm the happy owner of a superb 1926 New Wonder (or New Wonder I) bari.
Wait a minute... that would be a Series II, or Chu Berry. Now wonder you're getting F and F#3, as it's keyed up to F3.
Yeah, yours is a bit more advanced than my Series I (which is only keyed to Eb3). Tranny bari's are often considered the best of Conn's offerings, but much of that is probably based upon the notoriety of a certain famous player who played one. Yours probably compares very favorably to one. I know the sound of mine does, and it's only a Series I.
1 - 3 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.