Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Not so sure about that. I play long tones with my foot on an organ bass pedal and can feel the pulse difference all the way up my leg on each interval just as much if not more than I can being conducted through my teeth or my ears, and actually the closer interval is in relation to the drone the harder the pulse is felt. I also used to DJ dances at the school for the deaf when I was in high school and learned that a lot of severely hearing impaired people can play the interval game if the source is loud enough. We'd wear big industrial ear protection because the music was cranked and speakers faced the floor.
You are correct but he said small frequency changes with the same degree of accuracy. So you are both right. Remember Beethoven, when he went deaf, he had the legs of his grand piano removed and played lying on the floor so that he would feel the music. The human body has an amazing capability to adapt to all kinds of changes and a "normal person" will probably not use the tactile analysis of sound but if deprived of his / her hearing there is no reason why you could not develop at least a good substitute sensation. Especially since most sensory pathways converge in the thalamus anyway. so it's almost like switching a few connections around and route the input to the auditory cortices. But this is getting off topic.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts