Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,567 Posts
Short answer - every time you hear the pitch change, the reed frequency changes.

I'm not sure humans have the ability to "feel" small frequency changes with any degree of accuracy with any other organ besides their ears. In other words, if you were deaf, would you still be able to feel different pitches unless they were really far apart?
Not so sure about that. I play long tones with my foot on an organ bass pedal and can feel the pulse difference all the way up my leg on each interval just as much if not more than I can being conducted through my teeth or my ears, and actually the closer interval is in relation to the drone the harder the pulse is felt. I also used to DJ dances at the school for the deaf when I was in high school and learned that a lot of severely hearing impaired people can play the interval game if the source is loud enough. We'd wear big industrial ear protection because the music was cranked and speakers faced the floor.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,567 Posts
The reed vibrates at a frequency sympathetic to the horn resonant frequency, which is different at each fingering/note. The reed vibration is what excites the column of air in the sax that in turn amplifies its sound. You can feel the difference in tong tickling sensation when you slightly touch the reed, comparing a low Bb note and a higher note for example.
Yes. Touch the tip of the reed gently on a low note and you feel slow vibrations, touch it on a high range note and it will scrape your tongue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts