Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some time on the search of a french Dolnet soprano http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?130462-Review-on-Dolnet-Belair-70s-soprano, I came across with various names of saxophones manufacturers made in France between 1880 to nowadays .
This list was written down during my research only about sopranos and this is the result of that names list.
Maybe this can be useful or useless, depends on the interest of each one about this info, but for me was something interesting, and surprised me a lot because I didn´t have any idea about the existence of such quantity of french manufacturers during that period of time, and also that fact impressed me and made me think why and how almost all of them became extinct, even if they developed and manufactured excellent instruments.
Maybe someone has the answer, not me for sure, I am not a sax historian, not a collector, I am a musician who loves to play good ancient instruments, and as consequence of it, I like to understand something more about the past of those instruments.
There is no order of importance on this list, I wrote them as they appeared, some of them are very well known (as you can see on #15), with a lot of information available, some are stencils of known brands (#19,#31, #37 ), but some of them aren't.
electricfigue

Couesnon
Pierret
Malerne
Cabart
Gautrot Marquet
F. Loree
Rene Guenot
Buffet Evette
Louis Augu
Minerva
Andrieux Freres
A. Lecomte
Ledran
Olds Parisiens
Selmer
Leblanc
J.Gras
Jerome Thibouville Lamy
Paul Beuscher
Dolnet
Strasser, Marigaux, Lemaire
Sax
Les Ouvriers Reuni
Robert Dubois
Douchet
F. Sudre
Halari
Guillard- Bizel
Antoine Curtois
Beaugnier
King Marigaux
Molleron Respaud
Chapuis
Robert Martin Macon
H. Pihan
Pelisson, Guinot & Blanchon
Jean Cartier
Verycrusse et Dhont
Boiste Maurice
Mahillon
L. Moeremans
Jouan Guesdon
Triebert
R. Siour/ Beaugnier
Louis Pages
Margueritat
Raoul Brun-Vichy-Magueritat
Guillard Martel et Loiselet
Feulliet Fils
Barbier & Fils
Gervex-Paris
J.B.Barbe

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow, I had no idea. As a searcher for a curvy myself, that just makes it worse ....:?

Nice list, wish they were alphabetized ..... :D

·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I had no idea. As a searcher for a curvy myself, that just makes it worse ....:?

Well, all of them I have seen, except two of them,one curvy Couesnon,and one curvy Selmer,all the other ones were straights.
It is not common to find old french curved sopranos, you will have more chance to find a good American one, like Buescher, Conn, or King.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,364 Posts
I am not a sax historian, not a collector, I am a musician who loves to play good ancient instruments…
What do you mean; log drums and bamboo flutes?

·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean; log drums and bamboo flutes?
Well, I play bamboo flutes also, but probably "ancient" is not the right word in english, I should use "vintage" ,right?.
English is not my first languague, I mixed it with the french word "ancien" which has the same meaning as "vintage ".
French is not my languague neither, but anyway: "errare humanum est".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,364 Posts
Ahhh, yes. You meant vintage. Antique is another word we use, but that is for instruments older than 100 years. Your English is much better than my fractured French. How was the curvy couesnon soprano? Did you play it?

·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, yes. You meant vintage. Antique is another word we use, but that is for instruments older than 100 years. Your English is much better than my fractured French. How was the curvy couesnon soprano? Did you play it?
No, I didn´t have the chance to play it.
Thank you for your comments about my english, but better than your french not necesarely makes my english qualified, but thank you anyway, my first languague is spanish, which helps me a lot to read in french, more than to speak in french.
About the word "antique" maybe it could be be used in some very old instruments like the Gautrot Marquet, which is the Couesnon factory previous name, and those instruments are older than 100 years old.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Andrieux Freres
A. Lecomte
Antoine Curtois
Buffet Evette
Beaugnier
Boiste Maurice
Barbier & Fils
Couesnon