Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny thing as I'm getting back to playing as a big chunk of my income I'm finding that all the free playing I've done has opened up some things in the changes playing I"m doing. Blues and standards and even a little bit in pop songs and wedding stuff.

Not so much the content but the expression and focus on sound, articulation, nuance and the rest.

Go figure

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Go figure
No, it really makes total snese to me. I think every should try a little free playing, even if not totally "out there" it makes you think melodically which, even if there are a few "wrong" notes, is often better than slavishly following the changes or just running the same old licks.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Vonbraig: great observation.

From maybe 1973 or so, virtually all my musical work has been in free playing and, in the few instances where I needed to play inside tune structures, I found my free playing experience brought out wonderful ideas in more conventionally tonal contexts.

FWIW, I came to the conclusion that so many years of attention to intervallic relationships in open playing really sharpened my ears to extended extended harmonic ideas, which opened up new things for me melodically. I could "hear" better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I think the real goal is to be free within the context of a tune. Inventive original melodies in the moment. Beauty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts