Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I thought I'd post some music from a gig we played last week. I was really happy with how we sounded. On the first track, I'm playing tenor, second, clarinet, third, baritone. Thanks in advance for listening! I appreciate it.

For this first one, the bass is doing this pulsing tone, the guitar is doing a lot of melodic sustain notes and I'm sort of playing fast and furious over the top...
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/9933280

Here, the guitar is doing this rhythmic riff and the bass and I on clarinet are working with that.
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/9933420

Here, my melodic baritone playing is kind of driving the song... the bass is sort of sitting on sustained root notes, and sometimes the guitar fits into the harmony and other times, he does strange effects over the top.
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/9933023

Oh, and, any comments people have, I'm happy to hear! Positive, constructive, whatever.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Great shimmering sound with almost a programmed feeling on Oleifera.
I think this trio works better than many of the previous duo improvisations.
The guitarist is very inventive and draws it together almost like he's the continuo.
I don't know if these pieces were edited down to be short, but there's so much to take in it's definitely a lot easier to digest in these smaller bites.
Excellent work I liked all three and thought that the guitarist carried the feeling well which let you and the bass do your explorations more easily with better continuity.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great shimmering sound with almost a programmed feeling on Oleifera.
I think this trio works better than many of the previous duo improvisations.
The guitarist is very inventive and draws it together almost like he's the continuo.
I don't know if these pieces were edited down to be short, but there's so much to take in it's definitely a lot easier to digest in these smaller bites.
Excellent work I liked all three and thought that the guitarist carried the feeling well which let you and the bass do your explorations more easily with better continuity.
Thanks Wade. To a certain extent I agree with you, I'm a pretty big fan of this guitar player, not just because he can play, but because he can play with us and make us sound good. But bass and horn is a texture that I'm sure we'll want every now and again, and I actually enjoy listening to every recording we've made, if you can believe it. I do think he makes us more accessible.

These segments were sort of picked out from one long recording of the gig, so yes they were edited, but they seemed like logical sections with beginnings and ends. Sometimes they segue into other sections without stopping. We have been trying to move toward shorter "tunes," though.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Very interesting stuff! I enjoyed it.

Towards end of 1st track "the alien spaceship takes off..." Nice effect on the guitar.

In the second piece, I like how things start to coalesce into a real syncopated groove in the middle. Nice listening to each other there...

Third piece, sort of etheral guitar intro. Very nice! Like where the bass seems to imitate your long tones for a bit there...this one unfolds in an engaging manner. Lot of texture and contrast at times. Wasn't sure at first when the bass player started bowing (seemed tentative) but then, it got real interesting. Nice saxophoning in that section! Towards the end reminiscent of some of the In a Silent Way era stuff...

It's great there's a place where you could play this type of music.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting stuff! I enjoyed it.

Towards end of 1st track "the alien spaceship takes off..." Nice effect on the guitar.

In the second piece, I like how things start to coalesce into a real syncopated groove in the middle. Nice listening to each other there...

Third piece, sort of etheral guitar intro. Very nice! Like where the bass seems to imitate your long tones for a bit there...this one unfolds in an engaging manner. Lot of texture and contrast at times. Wasn't sure at first when the bass player started bowing (seemed tentative) but then, it got real interesting. Nice saxophoning in that section! Towards the end reminiscent of some of the In a Silent Way era stuff...

It's great there's a place where you could play this type of music.
Glad you liked it, fsaxwas9.

You can pretty much find a venue to play this stuff in Portland, while getting paid is another matter. I still play straight ahead, but I love this kind of music, and feel I learn a lot from playing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts