Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I was about to pitch two tenor reeds but thought maybe someone would like to try them. They may have more life in them- they still play OK, just feel a bit too soft for me now. They're Fibracell 4 which is a ~2.5 cane. At this stage of their life, they play more like a 2.25. Let me know and I'll mail them to you. Thanks!

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I play them on everything and find the strengths to correspond with Rico reeds. I just checked their own site and that's what they think too. I use 2 1/2 and 3 .

http://www.fibracelldirect.com/compchart.htm

Hi folks, I was about to pitch two tenor reeds but thought maybe someone would like to try them. They may have more life in them- they still play OK, just feel a bit too soft for me now. They're Fibracell 4 which is a ~2.5 cane. At this stage of their life, they play more like a 2.25. Let me know and I'll mail them to you. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Michael, Thanks for writing. At least in the US, and with current product it's not the case at all. I had a few exchanges with MIRI's VP Marty Ward who had me send him reeds to evaluate about 6 months ago, and he sent me a couple to try. We came to the conclusion that under their current standards, their 4, which is what I play, is a ~2.5+ cane. It's silly, but that's how they're labeling them despite what that older chart says. I can barely make a 3.5 - 4 cane vibrate. ;>) At any rate, anyone who would like to try these would find them about a 2-2.25. The disparity is interesting/annoying, but when I buy 4s from Amazon, they play like a 2.75. Peace.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,972 Posts
Yes, and they go by traditional numbering instead of the LaVoz system. I find them to be a little soft but maybe that's why I like them!

To get the best and longest service from them, do this; save the plastic case and keep the reed in it with the rubbery dot pressing down on the bark to keep it straight. After playing, take it off the mouthpiece, wipe it dry and put it in the case. Every so often you might want to wash it in Hydrogen Peroxide to keep any germs in check. I play them on soprano, alto and baritone with cane on tenor, and they really last for me. I believe the sound is the closest to cane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,070 Posts
If you can post to Australia I'll take them. I'll send you $$ for post of course :)

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I went from Plasticovers to Fibracell on the recommendation of a player on Theo's site and they just worked for me. I still use both on SATB.

Maybe Reeds Direct where I get my reeds here are still selling old stock. I bought a 31/2 for one of my horns but it's too hard. The 3s on baritone and soprano feel good. I was playing Plasticover on those horns for a long time. I'm using a 2 1/2 on a 110 tip tenor piece.

If this is the case now the 2 strength will be 1/2 and the 1 ... zero I guess. Strange Days.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Michael, We're on the same page- love Fibracells, just have to deal with the odd ratings. FWIW, I'm trying the new G reed from Argentina, and will give the Legere Signature 2.75 another chance now that my chops are strong. BTW, I see you're in UK- LOVE my new Trevor James Signature Custom RAW tenor!!

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Hey Michael, We're on the same page- love Fibracells, just have to deal with the odd ratings. FWIW, I'm trying the new G reed from Argentina, and will give the Legere Signature 2.75 another chance now that my chops are strong. BTW, I see you're in UK- LOVE my new Trevor James Signature Custom RAW tenor!!

Cool I love my US horns ..Super 20 all the way! Still have 5 VI's here though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts