Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Succumbed to a Vito 7212 w/original 'piece.

Don't remember clarinet being this resistant.

Any opinions as to least resistant of beginner
'pieces Fobes Debut, Hite Premier or Pyne Polycrystal.

Thanks,

rabbit

PS.: seems like a nice little horn.

·
Registered
34 Posts
clarinet mpc

I have heard good things about the Hite, as one of my friends did a musical(your a good man charlie brown) in Rohnert Park, and he told me that it was a good deal for the money, and he could hit consistent high E's and F's without squeaking. Also look into Portnoys, the B1 and B2 are great for legit and jazz ( I use a B2 for Symphonic and Big Band doubling). Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Brian Powell is your choice

Get a decent blank- SEND IT TO BRIAN POWELL.

Brian knows theright thing to do to make it....SING AND FREE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rabbit said:
Don't remember clarinet being this resistant.
:shock: ?REALLY? :tongue1:

I succumbed to a Selmer Signet 100 at Christmastime. It came without a mpc and I naively thought to myself "I want to play jazz, so I'll get a JAZZ mpc".

And I hadn't played clarinet in ?HOW LONG? :twisted: :badgrin: :cyclopsa: MUWAHAHAH

Yeah, Right!

Suggestions from a "been there, done that" POV: Soft reeds, "student" type mpcs. I'm currently playing with a used Vandoren 5RV with about a 2 reed. No stuffiness, no resistance!

I haven't given up on the jazzier mpcs, just know I need to mark time in the 'shed' getting my chops back up to speed ....

Alex

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al, Tim & Katz,

Thanks for the help.

Thirty years since my last licorice stick.
But I quit smoking since then, possibly too late.
Tim has me thinking: have my horns tech'd up to
good order and start working with perfected mouthpieces.

This might make everything easier & more pleasureable
even if I remain 'just a ******.'
After all, I don't have to start with an expensive piece to begin
with.

rabbit

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
A lot of resistance may be coming from not completely covering the holes with your fingers. Those little leaks are sound killers. Do you find open G or C a lot free-er than closed B or E?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
MojoBari said:
A lot of resistance may be coming from not completely covering the holes with your fingers. Those little leaks are sound killers. Do you find open G or C a lot free-er than closed B or E?
That's the first problem I look for in my clarinet students.
Student: "What the...? This thing's broken."
Me: "Look at your thumb, Is it covering the hole?"
Student: "Oh, okay, It's fine now."

That said, you have to realize that you'll have trouble finding a clarinet piece that'll feel like a big saxophone piece, and if you do it won't sound very good. You'll want to try some medium to (maybe) medium-open stuff like Vandoren B45's or selmer c85-120's. Much larger than that and you might find intonation a little difficult (and there's nothing quite like a clarinettist who can project above the band with squirrelly intonation to send shivers up the spine.)
Like the saxophone, long tones are your friend and will help you get comfortable with the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
if you are looking for a easy to, play jazz mpc -i suggest the runyon custom yes for clarinet!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
A mpc is as personal and relative as beauty

Take your clar to a shop that sells mpcs and try as many as you can!

What works for folks may or may not work for you!

For the sake of sharing, I use a Pomarico jazz* (crystal) pc with no. 2 Rico royal and a Vandoren Optimal ligature. (For those who may not know, this is the latest technology in the lig business: it has three different reed-pressing plates that you can change to get a certain tone, e.g., free-blowing, dark, bright, focused, etc., that you desire.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
For many years (more than 50 anyway) I have played clari with Dixieland type bands, and have always had trouble with loud trumpeters, troms, drummers etc.

So, and here is the sacrilegious(?) bit, I took an old alto piece with a straight shank that fitted in the clari barrel after a bit of filing down, and bingo instant
volume and free blowing.
As for the tone................
A bit more filing got the tuning OK.
Reeds need shortening to clear the barrel.
The piece was a no name high baffle affair.
I should feel ashamed, but what the hell!
Cheers, Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Wow, I'd love to hear you on that. Theo wanne once had a meyer with scooped out sides like a sax mouthpiece and still wonder today what it would be like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts