Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to start transcribing to improve my playing and Jazz language etc. on jazzadvice.com they always talk about Transcribe!

I was wondering if there is any kind of free alternative (I'm sure it wont be as good) as I can't really afford to fork out for any software at the moment.

I do already own Logic Pro and I am sure I could do what I need with that but im looking for something quick and simple to use.

Thanks
James

p.s. I use a mac so mac compatible would be useful. Running via a virtual machine would be an unbelievable faff!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
use google to search for audacity. I use it, it's great and it'sfree

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
If you already have Logic Pro, then you are set up beautifully. For difficult rhythms you can use time stretching or flex to get the audio to fit to a tempo grid, which makes it easy to work out rhythms that are otherwise appear a bit random.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it a couple of years ago when I was a student (it is much cheaper as a student). I was doing quite a bit of recording and sequencing, mainly guitar at that time. I also had less commitments and so more money.

I am getting married in 4 months and that is expensive! So yes I could afford to shell out for Logic at the time and have made good use of it.
Currently I am more strapped for cash and don't want to spend where I don't need to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I bought it a couple of years ago when I was a student (it is much cheaper as a student). I was doing quite a bit of recording and sequencing, mainly guitar at that time. I also had less commitments and so more money.

I am getting married in 4 months and that is expensive! So yes I could afford to shell out for Logic at the time and have made good use of it.
Currently I am more strapped for cash and don't want to spend where I don't need to.
Audacity!
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll prob download something for quickly slowing solos down, but for more difficult stuff I'll do what Pete suggested.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll prob download something for quickly slowing solos down, but for more difficult stuff I'll do what Pete suggested.
Er, but Logic quickly slows things down.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'll give it a go using just logic then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts