Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
I like the sound of #2 silver the best. But .............the FL lig seems to darken and focus the sound on the mouthpieces I play. Something happens to the recording of #2 at the :45 second mark. It seems like it is real alive and has a nice reverb and then at :45 it gets muffled and farther away sounding. It's like you clipped out the mic and it went to a lower level or something. Take #1 sounds like it is recorded in the same way as the second half of take 2. I would be interested in hearing both recorded the same as the first half of take #2. Maybe a bit further away from the mic. They both sound great to me. I'm not sure if I like #2 or just the way it was recorded from 0-45 that appeals to me. If I had to guess I would say number 2 was the Mark III. I'm surprised there isn't more of a difference. I imagined that the Mark III would be laserbeam bright...........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dig the first one but then, I dig brighter. Both sound nice though.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
That's a hard call. I listened to them again. #1 does seem brighter to me. #2 seems darker and fatter sounding but it also sounds like it has more power to it. Like if you push it it will take you into overdrive. I'm still thinking #2 is the Mark III but the FL lig is darkening it a little maybe? You're playing more laid back on the #1 clip I think.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I liked #2 better, but I do notice a big difference in recording quality and that may explain why #2 comes out sounding much better (at least for me). I did like it a lot, though, great sound!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the kind words,guys.

I recorded the clips with a Zoom and I had the "auto" on so it changes recording level automatically....I think??So that might change the sound.

I used Rico jazz filed 3S with both mouthpieces.
Clip number one is the Mark III,opening 7**.
Clip number two is the Mark IV deluxe,opening 8.

Steve,it´s good to hear that you have experienced the same with FL ligs,they make the mouthpieces sound darker.
I also thought that the Mark III would be brighter.
This mkIII has roll over baffle and both these pieces are FG´s early production, serialnr range 0.3XX.

I´ll try to do new clips at the beginning of next week.With another lig/reed combination...+better settings at Zoom...

Thank you all for comments!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Hey, DonPedro, you must be having a lot of fun with those two mouthpieces! Greetings from Portugal!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I tried to scroll down really fast as to not see what other people voted for, but for me, I would have to go with the first video. It had a quality that I wasnt hearing from the second one. But I think I liked #1 better than #2.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jlima,thanks,man!I´ve had very much fun :) Greetings from cold,snowy and extremely beautiful Sweden...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,
I promised to make some new clips so here they are...
But this time I´m "hiding" ;) ...so you won´t see the pieces (I don´t know how to make mp3 clips,I´m BAD with computers...)...you can watch Miles at the backround...

I use Vandoren optimum ligature this time.
I have also made one extra clip with Mark II mouthpiece,so the pieces I´m playing are Freddie Gregory mark II,III and IV models.
Same ligature and reed (Rico Jazz unfiled 3S).
I´m not as close to the Zoom as I was at the earlier clips and the Zoom is on "auto".

The questions are,
Can you guess which model is which?
Do you hear any difference at all?
Which one do you prefer?

Clip 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMmPaZv99w

Clip 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk4AfNkxGMA

Clip 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvb5-B-AnZI

Thanks for listening!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I don't know the various models, but I think they all sound great, depends on what you are looking for.

#1 seems like a pretty bright piece, might be nice to cut through when you need it.
#2 has a beautiful dark vibe to it, would be great for a small unamplified combo playing cocktail jazz. Very nice sounding piece.
#3 has a nice rich overall tone, probably the most versatile - you could push it if needed or back off for mellow stuff.

Nice sound all around, DonPedro. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. #1 Mark III, #2 Mark II, #3 Mark IV
2. Yes, that makes a difference
3. All of them sound (with you) great and like Pete already mentioned, it depends on the situation. I am personally more on the dark side, therefore you can send me #2!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
The tune.. an easy one for me :) I'm actually from the town where the composer lived most of his life.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts