Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mouthiece (got it today) is one of Freddie's earlier models, serial number 0159 and Made in England. I have not been able to record a clip yet, but I can say it sounds mellow but has something to offer on the treble side as well. It's not stuffy nor dull at all. What I would like those "Freddie experts" to tell me is which model this might be. It's clear that it's a 7*, you can read that, but ligatures have taken off the engraving of the top. Did Freddie use a classification like in his later mouthieces at that point (i.e. Mark I, II, III, IV)? If he did, this might indeed be a Mark II or Mark I because of the fact the sloping baffle does not show any sign of a step at all. Maybe you can have a look at the pics and tell me which model you think this one might be. BTW, I love it from the start. Window and rails are not as massive as on a vintage Link, the rails rather remind me of a Guardala because they are quite slim.

View attachment 235592 View attachment 235594 View attachment 235596 View attachment 235598 View attachment 235600 Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
If you can take some more good pics of the script across the back I think I can decipher it. The first word is 'Super'. Its a great-looking mouthpiece that Boots Randolph probably would have liked. He started on a STM 7* and switched to an obscure Brilhart 'Velvet Brass' 7* after he got to Nashville. It was similar to a Link but had a very subtle baffle and side walls in the throat.
One thing about your mouthpiece that would bother me is the ramp at the end of the window was never filed down to eliminate the 'dam'. I like them to equal the shank bore extended. Every mouthpiece I have had where this 'dam' was in place was improved by removing it and blending it in. However, on a piece like this, I am definitely not recommending any alterations. I might do it if it were mine but that's all I'll say.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information, 1saxman and Saxoholic. Yes, it does look like "Super Deluxe", so it might have been made before the model designations. The early serial number 0159 is a hint, too.
@1saxman: I remember talking to you about the issue with the ramp when I presented my Guardala King and my Guardala Super King Curtis: the King did not have the "ramp" filed down, but the SKC had. You said at the time that Dave filed down the ramp with the pieces he sold himself but sent a number of pieces to wholesalers without the ramp being filed down. I'm including two pics to make this clear.

View attachment 235624 View attachment 235626

I can understand a filed down ramp will allow a more even and steady air-stream, but I will of course not have this mouthpiece worked on that way.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy I got it from said he was given it by Jerry Bergonzi many years ago when he was his student. The story behind it is that he told Jerry during a lesson he needed a new mouthpiece, whereupon Jerry opened a drawer full of mouthpieces and gave him this Freddie Gregory for 500 Bucks. That was about 20 years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
That's a different thing. DG filed down the throat ring at the bottom and blended it down to the back of the window on certain pieces, creating an oval throat. The 'dam' can exist on any kind of mouthpiece and simply is a leftover from hand finishing. Some mouthpieces, more along the classical line, may be designed with the dam to be left in place, but like I said, any 'jazz'-type mouthpiece I've worked on benefitted from blending it down to the back of the window.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
That's a different thing. DG filed down the throat ring at the bottom and blended it down to the back of the window on certain pieces, creating an oval throat. The 'dam' can exist on any kind of mouthpiece and simply is a leftover from hand finishing. Some mouthpieces, more along the classical line, may be designed with the dam to be left in place, but like I said, any 'jazz'-type mouthpiece I've worked on benefitted from blending it down to the back of the window.
I'm unclear on what you are calling the "dam"? Are you talking about the roof of the chamber being thick?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like one of Freddie’s earlier pieces. I’ve seen 1 or 2 that have just read super deluxe. It might have been a model that wasn’t stamped earlier on in his career, or perhaps it was made from someone, although he usually inscribed custom on the back if they were custom made. Awesome mouthpieces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new owner is more than happy with it, and I have asked to be the first one he asks if he wants to sell it one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts