Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone play these custom alto mouthpieces? They're supposed to be in the Meyer-style and Tim Glessman says he "can't keep them on the shelves" at SaxAlley. Just wanted anyones opinions on them. Thanks.

Saxaholic

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is a great Meyer style alto mpc. It plays better than ANY Meyer I've ever tried. That said, I prefer my Selmer Super Sessions E more. Before the Selmer, I played on a Gregory for 10 years.

later

Joel

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have never played one, but my friend used to take lessons from him, said he was an okay teacher, but a much better mouthpiece maker. He said that he once went to Freds house for a lesson, and Kenny Garrett was sitting at a table while Rast was touching up him (new?) mouthpiece.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Well, I have an older clarinet mouthpiece of his that is excellent, though pretty close, his "1" facing. I selected it out of a bunch that Jey Clark sent me to try and at the time I had not heard of "F Rast." I have tried some of Fred's Meyer style alto sax mpcs but was not all that impressed by them.

Saxaholic, why are you calling the Rasts "custom" mouthpieces? If a product is "custom" it is designed to someone''s specs, as opposed to a standard product. Maybe "hand finished" or "hand made" would be more appropriate. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, just am confused by the way some folks are using the term "custom" lately.

Of course Fred Rast would make a custom mouthpiece for you but if you bought one from Sax Alley it would not be a custom.

I admit it; I'm bored and am putting off finishing the taxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts