Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a very reliable source that Frederick Hemke is retiring after this year. And the Northwestern School of Music website now has an open professor of saxophone position/application. Does anybody know anything further about this?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,911 Posts
I don't know anything more, but it brings to mind a sly comment my grandfather used to make about marriage: the first 50 years are the hardest. I believe that's about how long Hemke has been at Northwestern. Assuming your source is correct, I wish Hemke a happy retirement and I will be very interested to see who follows in his footsteps as NU sax prof.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Dr. Hemke started at NU in 1962. He earned the Premier Prix at the Paris Conservatoire in 1956 (the year I was born!), where he was studying with Marcel Mule. He's had an amazing career.

·
Registered
109 Posts
He mentioned in a Saxophone Journal interview that he studied saxophone with a man named Eddie Schmidt in high school. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was studying a different instrument in college. Rousseau majored in clarinet at Roosevelt, oboe (!) at Northwestern, and clarinet at Iowa.

·
9,911 Posts
He mentioned in a Saxophone Journal interview that he studied saxophone with a man named Eddie Schmidt in high school. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was studying a different instrument in college. Rousseau majored in clarinet at Roosevelt, oboe (!) at Northwestern, and clarinet at Iowa.
Thanks CustomRam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Especially in that era, you had to prove yourself on another instrument - sax wasn't yet fully acceptable.

·
9,911 Posts
...I hope there will be some kind of public fête with lots of saxophone playing to mark Hemke's retirement. ...
If I heard correctly tonight at the NU Saxophone Ensemble concert, there will indeed be such an event, June 3 (I think that's what I heard but I'm not sure) at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall in Evanston. The concert will include many of Hemke's former students in a large saxophone ensemble performing Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts