Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a very reliable source that Frederick Hemke is retiring after this year. And the Northwestern School of Music website now has an open professor of saxophone position/application. Does anybody know anything further about this?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
I don't know anything more, but it brings to mind a sly comment my grandfather used to make about marriage: the first 50 years are the hardest. I believe that's about how long Hemke has been at Northwestern. Assuming your source is correct, I wish Hemke a happy retirement and I will be very interested to see who follows in his footsteps as NU sax prof.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Dr. Hemke started at NU in 1962. He earned the Premier Prix at the Paris Conservatoire in 1956 (the year I was born!), where he was studying with Marcel Mule. He's had an amazing career.

·
Registered
109 Posts
He mentioned in a Saxophone Journal interview that he studied saxophone with a man named Eddie Schmidt in high school. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was studying a different instrument in college. Rousseau majored in clarinet at Roosevelt, oboe (!) at Northwestern, and clarinet at Iowa.

·
9,733 Posts
He mentioned in a Saxophone Journal interview that he studied saxophone with a man named Eddie Schmidt in high school. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was studying a different instrument in college. Rousseau majored in clarinet at Roosevelt, oboe (!) at Northwestern, and clarinet at Iowa.
Thanks CustomRam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Especially in that era, you had to prove yourself on another instrument - sax wasn't yet fully acceptable.

·
9,733 Posts
He mentions Eddie Schmitt in this tribute to Marcel Mule.

I hope there will be some kind of public fête with lots of saxophone playing to mark Hemke's retirement. Good reeds or bad, the man has my respect for staying on top of his game for more than half a century.

·
9,733 Posts
Wow, am I the only one who is extremely surprised? I assumed strongly that a Hemke student would be chosen.

My surprise notwithstanding, congratulations to Tim McAllister, I will look forward to hearing some amazing saxophone performances in the coming years.

·
9,733 Posts
...I hope there will be some kind of public fête with lots of saxophone playing to mark Hemke's retirement. ...
If I heard correctly tonight at the NU Saxophone Ensemble concert, there will indeed be such an event, June 3 (I think that's what I heard but I'm not sure) at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall in Evanston. The concert will include many of Hemke's former students in a large saxophone ensemble performing Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts