Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Thank you for the clip- one great one there.

THANK YOU MR FOSTER....Thank you so much for the lifetime body of work. Tunes like " Shiny Stockings" , “Down For The Count,” “Blues Backstage,” “Back to the Apple,” “Discommotion,” and “Blues In Hoss Flat” as well as arrangements for the entire Easin’ It album.Here Comes Frank Foster on Blue Note,every sax player on this forum should own, Two Franks Please! , Fearless Frank Foster , Manhattan Fever on Blue Note, and so many more.
All sax players should know his tunes like " SIMONE", " RAUNCHY RITA" and "Someone's Rocking My Jazz Boat" .

THE GUY WAS A SUPER STAR!!! RIP MR FOSTER.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
SHINY STOCKINGS!!!!

Mr. Foster was not only a giant of the Basie Band and his own great records but played with Elvin Jones on some of the coolest stuff out there (when will blue note understand that Elvin had a lot of GREAT records in the 70's).

Anyway. SIP (swing in peace) Mr. Foster.

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
He was a GIANT amongst GIANTS!!!!!!!

One of my first albums that i heard, was "2 Franks, Please" with Frank Foster and Frank Wess.

One of my favorite albums ever!!!!

I learned more riffs, patterns, heads, and turnarounds from that album, when i was in college.

Aside from the technical stuff---i learned how to play from the heart from that album.

Super sad day today....i'm going to listen to my frank foster stuff the rest of the day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
SHINY STOCKINGS!!!!

Mr. Foster was not only a giant of the Basie Band and his own great records but played with Elvin Jones on some of the coolest stuff out there (when will blue note understand that Elvin had a lot of GREAT records in the 70's).

Anyway. SIP (swing in peace) Mr. Foster.
The two tenor Elvin band was ridiculous. I remember a recording of Frank Foster & ??Big George on Jerome Kerns' Yesterdays that was an absolute stunner.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Meet him a long time ago when he was leading the Basie Band, did a nice interview... have his autograph on the ticket.. will have to check the date, but I know it was somewhere between 89 and 94. Very accommodating. Now do I have the tape of the interview anywhere? I haven't a clue.

He will be missed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Uncle Frank" - was a great musician, an excellent teacher and a true gentleman.
A lot of people thought he was destined to be "the next" Coltrane.
Ouch! Could he wail on that tenor sax!
But Frank Foster and John Coltrane were on the same level - they were equals - not competitors.
And then - life took Frank in a big-band direction.
Imagine how history would have been different if Trane had gotten the opportunity to play with Count Basie.
Frank Foster is my favorite big-band arranger of all time.
His charts swing, swing, swing - in such a basic, elegantly simple and ultimately vital way.
You will be remembered always, Frank - and missed deeply.
R.I.P. to the Great Frank Foster!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Another sax giant down:( RIP Frank.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
... "2 Franks, Please" with Frank Foster and Frank Wess.
What a great title. Seems like there was a greater ease to life back then, and things less pretentious, but perhaps that is just because it is long past. Either way it is more great talent lost in outer space. Thank you Mr. Foster.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
His Loud Minority Big Band was the first big band I ever heard. That made me seriously interested in playing jazz, RIP Mr. Foster and thank you for all of the wonderful songs you wrote as well as your exceptional playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Rip, a fantastic player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Tenor ... sadness.
Isn't he playing the famous laid back 24 bars in the original "Splanky" ? No better definition of swing. This one has a couple of 1000s of stars on my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts