Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Francois Louis Ultimate Pressure Plate contour does not fit the contour of most reeds, its got a tighter curve and there for "pokes" into the reed instead of cradling it. Is this supposed to be like this ? Seems like it could damage the reeds. Synth reeds aint cheap either..
Anyone got a fix on how to change/bend the plate?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,460 Posts
well plates with “ spikes” also make indentations and they have been around for years. I suppose that the “ theory” is seeking a lesser contact suface.

You don’t need to apply more force that is needed to hold it tight. External indentations won’t crack the reed if you don’t over-tighten it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are you talking about the plate on the far left?

24.jpg

1 plate in stainless steel for a free, light and a flexible sound with a quick response.
1 plate in solid brass for a deeper tone with more resistance, mostly appreciated by classical players.
1 plate in rubber coated stainless steel; the ideal compromise – light and flexible, yet darker.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,343 Posts
The FL pressure plates are designed this way on purpose. If you try to match the curve of the reed, you will find that not all reeds have the same curve, so clamping action would vary between reeds. The FL design clamps along the edges of the reed, and then uses the natural stiffness of the reed to hold the remainder of the reed surface against the table. I do not know what brand of synths you use, but I don't think you will risk reed damage using these ligs.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the plate on the far left?

View attachment 224250

1 plate in stainless steel for a free, light and a flexible sound with a quick response.
1 plate in solid brass for a deeper tone with more resistance, mostly appreciated by classical players.
1 plate in rubber coated stainless steel; the ideal compromise – light and flexible, yet darker.
Thank you all for the replies.
The photo on the far left is what came on my FL Ultimate for HR Tenor.
Makes sense it would sound different for each. I have not damaged any reeds but I am pretty light with how hard I clamp it down on Cane or Synth reeds.
Was I supposed to get the other 2 plates as well with this Lig or where did you get them and can they be changed on the Ultimate Lig as well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,274 Posts
If your table is flat you dont need to clamp down on a piece. Treating a lig like a vise is bad for the lig and the mouthpiece.

..to repeat what has been said...your lig is, as it supposed to be, by design.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You would have to clamp it down incredibly hard to damage a synth reed! Just clamp it down to the point where the reed doesn't move and no more. I actually like ligatures that have less contact with the reed as I feel like full contact seems like it dampens the reed.
This is Theo Wannes whole concept for the function of the reed plate as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts