Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used Francois Louis reeds and had previously found them to be of exceptional quality...almost every one played well right out of the box. However, I just bought a new supply, and the first two I tried were bad. I wonder if this is just a coincidence, or if their "quality control" has suffered recently.

Any comments?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
But seriously, remember how good Ponzol and Alexander reeds were the first few years they came out? Seems to be a strategy to attract players at first but they all level out after a while it seems.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Interesting, I just got a couple boxes of Rigotti Golds (same cane), and the first 4 have needed a lot of adjusting. For the last two years, I haven't even broken out the sandpaper...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Same with me, my recent boxes of 10 F Louis and 10 Rigotti Gold each have included a number of not so good reeds that is higher than what was i was used to. I'm getting more or less only half of them that play well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that others have had the same experience. I always contended that FL reeds were worth the price (double that of other brands) since they were so consistent, and you usually got 10 playable reeds in a box of 10, rather than 5 or so. But if this is the new standard, perhaps I should rethink my next purchase. I have a few boxes of them I recently bought....will go through them and see how the others fare.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I just tied a new one this afternoon. It was way too soft, but with a reed trimmer I was able to make it play very decently. Please keep us updated on your experience, I have several boxes as well and I do hope they're worth the investment, I've been quite happy with them until very recently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts