Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently on my Grassi, I've been using an ebonite rico mouthpiece which gives out a good, classical sound.
Now I've been looking for another mouthpiece more suitable for jazz music. I first started looking at Berg Larsen's....

...But then I watched Ronnie Cuber blasting away on his bari using a Francois Louis mouthpiece, and I wanted that kind of punchy sound on my bari.

I was going to get a B305 (.120") tip opening since it appeared to be a better choice for students to professionals. But there's also the decision between the sphere chamber or the medium large chamber.

Would anyone know what choices would give me that kind of punchy, jazzy sound?

http://francois-louis.com/mouthpieces/saxophone-baritone-mouthpiece

Link to webpage^

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I play a smaller tip size, but I really like the sphere chamber. I really like it's projection. It let's you really shape the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Bigsax,
I have the FL mouthpieces in use too. I have tested the 120 tip opening, but for me that mouthpiece didn't work well. I can second Guidos comment. With the right reed the FL 285 projects really well. I personally enjoy playing the FL 345 and sometimes the FL 365. Choose that mpc what you personally fits well, not other players. I am using the spehre chamber too.
I guess the FL and the Drake mpcs are similar; not the same but similar in sound. The sphere chamber might be something like the Drake Crossover 1 and the medium large chamber like the Drake Crossover 2. I guess Jerry Bergonzi could explain the fine differences, because until he is playing Drake mpcs he has been playing FL mpcs. Please correct me, if I am beeing wrong.
Nice greetings

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been playing an FL B345 ML on my Conn 12M since September 2011. Before purchasing the piece I checked out a nice master class presented by Francois (http://vimeo.com/22764049) in which he advises players to select the tip opening that will be best for them by working down from wide to narrow. A very informative video with some nice playing to boot. The B345 has a 3.45 mm opening, which is roughly equivalent to a 9. For me it turned out to be imminently playable. Aside from giving a big sound, the wide opening gives plenty of room for pitch coloring. The current FL pieces have excellent workmanship, which I believe allows the player to use a bigger tip opening than might be the case with a less meticulously built MP. My hunch anyway.

I purchased the piece from Harald Dallhammer at Fisera in Nuremberg, Germany after spending a full afternoon trying various pieces on my 12M. Harald was kind enough to let me test both the SP and ML versions of the piece side by side for several weeks. Both are great pieces in terms of volume, projection and overall sound, so the decision was tough. The SP is more centered; the ML has more edge. If you like a Mulligan sound, you'd probably prefer the SP. If want more of a Pepper Adams sound, you'd probably be better off with the ML. If you want a classical sound, you probably want the SP. With the right reed, though, you can get some edge with the SP, but the ML tends to have a natural edge. Both pieces are pretty flexible. I can still get a very classical sound on my ML with a Legere bari reed.

I found that my FL piece played very sharp on the Lady Face, a common issue with modern pieces on vintage horns. So I had Jo Schnabel of Mouthpiece-Pro here in Germany put an 18 mm extension on the piece to correct the problem. Beautiful workmanship incidentally by Jo! In effect, this allows the tip to be positioned further away from the tone holes, so that the flattening effect is more pronounced at the high end of the instrument body due to the change being proportionally greater there. My take is that this is a good thing since many players tend play too sharp in the throat tones. Of course, the "standard disclaimer" applies to all of this: every player and every horn plays differently, so what works well for me might be horrible for you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
And here is the next german voting:
I own a FL 305 sphere (.120") and tested Drake Crossover 1 and 2.
For me both Drake Mpc's had been too aggressive regarding the sound; the FL was (for me) much more pleasant / rounder.
My current main piece is the Rousseau JDX7 (.115) --> bigger sound, better projection and more pleasant tone compared with the FL (which has the better altissimo)

·
Registered
136 Posts
ok, not so many feedbacks in the meantime...
As I described in 2012 I played the Rousseau JDX7 (hard ruber), later the JJ ESP 120...and just started again with the FL 305 SP for a test (small jazz band, no Big Band). With the Rousseau the altissimo hadn't been "top", the JJ was somewhat too centered...therefore I test again the FL, also because of the very good altissimo. The FL seems to have an easier handling in total than the JJ (for me). Still D2 to G2 seem to be somewhat damped, but I can influence it better than before (perhaps because I had in the meantime also some experience with the tenor version of the FL). It worked fine in a short test with the small band, but I still need more testing. Soundwise I think I still would prefer the JDX or the JJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts