Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

What an unbelievable journey this has been to date but a brief summary

At the age of 56 I decided to start playing the Tenor sax with absolutely no musical background

First stop (on10 May 2014) was to go to Sax.co.uk in Denmark street London and buy a horn (new Yani T902)

Second stop find a teacher in Las Vegas (Jimmy Haag - simply THE BEST teacher anywhere on the planet) and another in Asia (Geoff Oakes - what a GREAT player even at almost 75 years of age and still playing and composing daily) - I travel a lot between London Vegas Thailand Singapore and Melbourne so as most time is in Asia and America got my main two teachers there but I do have others scattered around the globe as I have way too much still to learn.

Thirdly practice every day building up from 20 to 30 mins a day to around 3 hours or more if possible nowadays with the only days being taken off when I am flying long haul or feeling sick with a cold (or physically incapacitated)

Unfortunately 2 years on (8 May 2016) I broke my left wrist and ruptured my ligaments necessitating an enforced 6 month lay off from playing.

You would be amazed how depressing it is not being able to play a horn for so long and giving up completely had crossed my mind especially as once I restarted the pain in the left wrist (still there today) along with the restricted finger movement made it really tough to play anything smoothly even basic scales.

Anyway having overcome that hurdle and returned to full time practice and learning thought I would treat myself to a new horn so on 31 March 18 purchased a new Yani TW020 (Sax.co.uk at Euston). Absolutely loved the T902 but thought with a second horn I could get away with travelling with one on planes and would leave one in Asia and the other in Vegas.

Unfortunately the keywork has been slightly redesigned (for the better) so pretty quickly the T902 was retired and the new one became my main horn meaning it has to travel with me around the world which defeated the object of buying a second horn.

Roll on to early May 2018 and I suffer a detached retina of my left eye leading to another enforced layoff from playing for 3 months. So less than 2 months into the new horn I cant even look at it never mind play it :-(

Meanwhile in August I hit my 60th birthday and a few days before being given the all clear to restart playing by my eye surgeon what gets delivered through the post? a 1949 Silver Plated (80% or more) Selmer - Serial number 40006

Some present I can assure you and despite my not being a good enough player to merit such an instrument it is VASTLY superior to the Yanis I own

I would never have believed it previously but I have definitely now become a vintage Selmer snob. It is not even like chalk and cheese as the gulf in sound and tone is much wider than I could ever have imagined

Earlier today I took the horn in for some new corks/felts and a service and have some stuff done to it so I can make it as close to original spec as possible and to put it into tip top working order which meant I had to do my practice and playing sessions today on the Yani TW020

All I can say is that despite only having played the Selmer for some 3 weeks now I miss it already and have absolutely no enthusiasm whatsoever for the Yani and desperately want my Selmer back ASAP

And so to the moral of this message....

I am truly converted to The Vintage Selmer appreciation society and am suffering terribly having to play a Yani until my Selmer comes back to me.

The Yanis are wonderful instruments but the Selmer is sublime and once smitten there is no going back

This must be what true love is like and cannot believe I survived so long without one of these iconic instruments even though it is harder to play than either Yani but the effort is definitely worth it because the sound is unrivaled by any modern horn I have tried

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
And so to the moral of this message....

I am truly converted to The Vintage Selmer appreciation society and am suffering terribly having to play a Yani until my Selmer comes back to me.
I am a bit torn after reading this post. I, like Darrell below, also salute your 'don't give up' attitude.

But I do truly hope that this isn't the 'moral of this message'.

Perhaps a better moral might have been:

You are in fact incredibly Blessed.
Consider yourself nothing but unbelievably fortunate to be in a position, especially in today's world... where you can buy and keep two expensive, exemplary saxophones, two talented tutors, travel the globe, and have your health issues addressed and treated and faculties returned/maintained intact ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You are truly a testament to persistence and fortitude! Hope your Selmer gets home, soon!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,357 Posts
I would never have believed it previously but I have definitely now become a vintage Selmer snob. It is not even like chalk and cheese as the gulf in sound and tone is much wider than I could ever have imagined

...the sound is unrivaled by any modern horn I have tried
None of this comes as a surprise to me. I dare say you'd have found the same thing if you'd picked up a vintage Conn or Buescher or any number of other top quality vintage horns. Enjoy that Selmer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sincerest apologies if it came across the wrong way...I am genuinely one of the luckiest people on the planet.

I am TRULY blessed and although I will keep the Selmer as my main horn I am going to donate the Yani TW020 to either a music college in Vegas or give it to my Vegas Teacher so anyone who cant afford an instrument can have one to practice on until such time that they can afford one or decide to take it up properly

The T902 will go to my friends musically talented daughter who plays several instruments already to a very high standard

..and you are right..the moral of the story is that if you love doing something then just persevere because you cant achieve anything without perseverance.

Its astonishing how many times I have said and thought to myself I didnt want or feel like playing today but as soon as I put the horn to my mouth I just go at it for hours on end taking short breaks to rest the neck lips and hands

1 - 5 of 5 Posts