Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm making a lot of progress with tone by practicing with a towel in the bell but now i sound i bit to fat. I also want to be able to get a sound something like this.(Especially herbie stewart and zoot sims sound great)
I sound a bit like them but then i sound very weak and thin.
Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you^^

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me rephrase the question: How can I sound soft without sounding thin and weak?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I don't know what your setup is but you might try using a harder reed.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what your setup is but you might try using a harder reed.
I wanted to add it the first post but i forgot but: I don't want to talk about setup^^. It's not my gear

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
nevermind

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Embouchure/voicing. You want a "covered" sound. Damping more of the reed with your lower lip will give you that covered "subtone" sound over the whole range of the horn.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Take the towel out of the bell???

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Embouchure/voicing. You want a "covered" sound. Damping more of the reed with your lower lip will give you that covered "subtone" sound over the whole range of the horn.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..i still "depend " on gear!!! a great tool ive found is the goodson neck nib.... really concentrates the sound giving more punch to my "weak" mouthpieces (i.e. brillhart tonalin...etc.)

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get a fat sound but i have trouble filling out a soft type of sound

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should give it a try. Put a towel in the bell and then try to get a normal tone. Then remove it. You should immediately hear the difference. It works a bit like running with weights around your feet. When you remove then you'll feel really light/fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts