Sax on the Web Forum banner

Found Zephyr Alto

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Grumps 
#1 ·
I found a King Zephyr Alto Sax. It has the Serialnumber 202920. So it seems to date from 1936. Does anyone have played a Horn like this. Is this a good Instrument? What do you think?

Greetings Francis

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Input. I felt a little bit the same. I like the Sound it has, but it is tending to be sharp from g`` and e```(played on the Palmkeys) is quite out of Tune. I was also a little disappointed by the low Notes (low C# down to low Bb), because they are not so easy to play and have some kind of Resistance. Since about 11Years I play a Super Twenty Tenor (299xxx)and on this Instrument the low Notes are absolutely easy to play and they sound wonderfully mellow. So somehow I did expect something similar on this Alto. Now after playing it for a While it seams to me it develops in a good Sense. Maybe this Instrument was not played for a long Time and maybe it is starting to recover some of his Qualitys....

Somewehre in the Comments to "Why are Zephyrs so lame?" someone claimed that the best Zephyrs are between Serialnr 270K and 295K - do you think this is true? Whats the difference of these Instruments to mine?

Greetings F

Discussion starter · #7 ·
You can not fix all the Intonationproblems with Key height. If you hav to go to low, the Sound is bad. But anyway the Intonation is not to bad, it is in the Range I can handle it.
What is your Experiance about Mouthpieces? What do you play on your Zephyr, "Honeyboy"?

Greetings F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.