Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Nice but I would say no! If you have been playing a while and have experience with tenors or even if you havn't I would recommend looking at a used 62 or something else of that nature which has a great sound, solid construction and a well regarded horn which technicians know also inside out. Also other options include something like a Selmer Mark VII, some of them are good contrary to popular belief. I would always advise to go professional as soon as possible. That is my honest opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! I'll check out somethin' else then.

EDIT: I was kinda lookin' for an affordable horn that plays well, obviously. Suggestions??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
hey now, whats wrong with the Antigua horns? Ive yet to see a truly bad review yet!

They've got a pretty good rep here, and are available at low prices

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I haven't played a Vintage sax yet. I do have a pretty tight budget, not sure what I can afford. Martin, you are right. But I was just looking around at some horns, cuz' I'm renting a Selmer TS500 horn(it's ok, but I really need a better horn), and I'm being charged a ridiculous amt. of $$ every month. And the sax isn't THAT good.... I like the Antigua.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Get what you like. If you like the Antigua then that is what you will probably end up getting anyway. I would caution you against buying new though. I would look used, becuase of the value drop if you did go to sell it.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
Yes, the Antiguas have a reputation of being very nice intermediate level horns basically

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
A used Yamaha 61 or 62 would be a much nicer horn. I think you should seriously consider a vintage Yani either the 800, 880, 900, or 901. The 901 is a current design and these can generally be found in the price range you are looking. I've seen a couple go through the for sale area.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't think you could find any of those horns as cheap as the antiguas there, but I may be wrong.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I've seen used Yamaha 62s and 61s go for around $1200. You might look for one of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts