Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after somehow losing my beloved and extensively modified Selmer Airflow (and an accompanying GP BG tradition lig), I've been looking for a suitable mouthpiece with a dry, West-Coast type of sound. Tried a bunch of mouthpieces, including a Meyer G, Mouthpiece Cafe and some others.

One day I come across what looked like a refaced Soloist style, that ended up being a '70s Larry Teal. Was refaced with a very distinct shelf baffle. Tried it out, and wow. Had that dry martini type of sound, with lots of projection and full palm key notes. Easy altissimo. Only thing that bugged me a bit was it had lots of midrange had some resistance like a classical mouthpiece, so I slightly opened up the round squeeze chamber myself. Compressed midrange is now gone, and it's pretty dang perfect. Can't complain for $100, and it's now my main mouthpiece.

I played a similar long-shank Soloist for comparison, and the Larry Teal sounds much more lively. Does anyone else get a West-coast vibe out of their LT, or was it just how somebody refaced my mouthpiece? Haven't encountered another Soloist LT so have no frame of reference.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts