Sax on the Web Forum banner

Found a cg conn in my house

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Grumps 
#1 · (Edited)
While clearing out some storage areas from the previous owner I came across a saxophone. It's a cg conn.

I'm not a musician by any stretch of the imagination.

Pat Dec 8 1914, !!!9954, T, 41648, L.

What do I have here? Value?

Lol my daughter figured it out.

#3 ·
Joe: Welcome to SOTW. You have what is probably a Bb tenor saxophone made by Conn (in Elkhart, Indiana) many years ago. The "L" means "low pitch", a desirable thing indicating it is pitched to modern tuning standards (as opposed to "high pitch" or H).

There are serial number lists on the internet that will pin down the year of manufacture but I don't have a link for you. That will be easy enough to find. DAVE

#6 ·
Thank you for the replies, it helps. So far I've narrowed it down to made sometime between 1915 and 1925, and a wonder or new wonder with the ballpark value of 1200 to 300. It has mother of pearl keys, engraving on the horn that's is actually in really good shape. The is some localised corosion so it would need attention to address that, the pads seem to be in great shape. Like I said though I'm not a musician. So take that with a grain of salt.

#8 ·
$300 is more reality based on age and condition described. Early horns aren?t as valued as say mid to late 1920s. Pictures are easy to post (5 minutes max) so not sure what you?re talking about.

#9 ·
Posting pictures is easy and not at all a problem.

The best way is to use a hosting site then you go ? advanced? then you click on the projection screen icon and then you paste the link there in the communication box that appears. No problem at all.

This is just an example on how to do this and its results

#14 ·
Goal 1 just know what it is, I've been doing research so I am getting a decent idea.

As I'm not a musician AT ALL, I would like to see it get into the appropriate hands.

I am aware of the sale policy I actually looked that up first, I know some forums have that policy some don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.