Sax on the Web Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,888 Posts
I think we have some ambiguous stuff going on here.

What would be useful is for everyone to let us know whether they are talking about the new post list (either of the links in my ugly yellow notice at the top) or whether you are talking about forum view (list of forums) or thread view (list of threads within a forum)

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,269 Posts
Pete, this comment relates to the New Posts button/link just under “What’s New” and “Articles” and to the immediate right of “Forum Home” button in second, darker line of buttons near the top of every page.

When you changed the link from new posts only to “posts from last day”, that worked fine, but for some reason, that change was not implemented on all forum pages.

For example, if you are main forum page and hit that new posts button, you get new posts only and NOT posts from last day. The same thing seems to apply for some reason if you hit the new posts button on any page in THIS thread we are posting in here.

So it seems the change you implemented to fix the new posts button (to effectively return it to the prior process we mostly all liked) was not universal across the site. Some pages seem not to have the “posts from last day” New link you created.

Other than the main forum page, and this thread, where the new posts button seems not to include your changes, most every other page seems show posts from last day when using New Posts button due to the change you had made.

On a desktop or laptop, hover your cursor over the link and you can see the differences in the status bar at bottom of browser.

·
29,888 Posts
Pete, this comment relates to the New Posts button/link just under “What’s New” and “Articles” and to the immediate right of “Forum Home” button in second, darker line of buttons near the top of every page.

When you changed the link from new posts only to “posts from last day”, that worked fine, but for some reason, that change was not implemented on all forum pages.
I didn't change it, all I've done so far is put up the test links in this forum. (Plus also thanks to your link)

If that link in the navigation has changed, it's nothing to to with me. I would change it if I was allowed.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,269 Posts
C5B73D59-CD67-41FB-9246-8C8AF47B94D6.jpg 558835EF-50B9-429A-B295-7E81BC60463F.jpg
I didn't change it, all I've done so far is put up the test links in this forum. (Plus also thanks to your link)

If that link in the navigation has changed, it's nothing to to with me. I would change it if I was allowed.
Wow, I thought the change was made by you, since it happened right after we had discussed it earlier in the thread.

The New Posts button I refer to way back showed all new posts, even for threads that one had already viewed and in which no further new posts had been made. For example, if you had made the last post in the thread, that thread would still show up in the new posts when you hit the button.

Then it changed, so only threads you hadn’t already viewed the latest post of would appear. So if you made the latest post and then hit the new posts button, that thread would not appear.

In our discussions I proposed a work around involving showing new posts over 30 days, and you suggested on that show all posts from the prior day forward. Both worked to show all threads with new posts, not only those which were unread by the member doing the search.

After that, I found most pages implemented your suggested approach for the new posts link. Just a couple where it wasn’t implemented, so I assumed it was your work. It did the trick regardless, showing even threads that the searching member had already viewed fully.

But you say you didn’t make that change. Ok, but someone must have. It’s been working fine for me, other than the new posts link on the main forum page. I just checked further, and see that the new posts link on any forum list page, for example https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?8-The-SOTW-Community or sub-forum list page like https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?8-The-SOTW-Community will give only unread posts. Same applies to new posts button on member profile page.

But the new posts button within threads (other than this thread, which seems an anomaly) will show “posts from last day” which includes fully read threads.

·
29,888 Posts
View attachment 217522 View attachment 217524

Wow, I thought the change was made by you, since it happened right after we had discussed it earlier in the thread.

The New Posts button I refer to way back showed all new posts, even for threads that one had already viewed and in which no further new posts had been made. For example, if you had made the last post in the thread, that thread would still show up in the new posts when you hit the button.

Then it changed, so only threads you hadn’t already viewed the latest post of would appear. So if you made the latest post and then hit the new posts button, that thread would not appear.
The only change I know of is they switched from cookies (browser based) to database based. Browser based used to be good in the old days before tablets and smart phones but no longer viable these days when people use different devices to view the forum as there is no consistency of what you have read (or not) across devices obviously as there is a different cookie for each browser on the different devices. (Unless you can since them via a cloud but I'm not quite sure about that)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,436 Posts
I think we have some ambiguous stuff going on here.

What would be useful is for everyone to let us know whether they are talking about the new post list (either of the links in my ugly yellow notice at the top) or whether you are talking about forum view (list of forums) or thread view (list of threads within a forum)
Pete, I'm referring to the forum view. The one that first comes up, showing all of the sub forums.

It used to be I could immediately see which ones had new posts by the darkened blue bubble. Now almost all of them are dark blue so no way to know where the new posts are at first glance.

I've pretty much gotten used to it now. It's not as convenient as it used to be, but I just click on the sub forums and threads I'm interested in and scan through them.

p.s. Oddly enough, it seems to be working better today (fewer sub forums marked with dark blue). Maybe it's back on track. I'm going to quit complaining unless something worse comes up.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts