Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the board doesn't seem to be properly marking threads or forums as read after I've visited them. It seems sometimes that it may take 24 hours before the board clears, even if I click "Mark All Read." I'll mark it read, come back a couple hours later, and I'll see the same stuff I've already seen flagged as new. So something seems to be flaking out with the cookie or whatever method this forum uses for tracking visits.

·
Administrator
1,501 Posts
Hi there,

Can you try to clear your caches and cookies and see if this still an issue?
Are you accessing this site through a bookmark? If so, re-bookmark the site and see if this is still an issue.
Let me know how it goes.

Ed

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,502 Posts
Hi there,

Are you accessing this site through a bookmark? If so, re-bookmark the site and see if this is still an issue.
Let me know how it goes.

Ed
That doesn’t work. Been trying that for weeks just have not posted issue as I assume many have not. In a two hour session sometimes they stay marked as read sometimes they do not. Signing out then logging back in 10 hours later some marked as new I read earlier in the day. It’s hit and miss.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

Let me know how it goes.

Ed
Yes, I've tried clearing the cache and cookies. I've also tried multiple different browsers across multiple computers, (AND my iPhone) both with and without using a bookmark to reach the forum, and no matter which system I use, the same posts always show as New. MAYBE it updates after 24 hours, but even then it's hit or miss.

·
Administrator
1,501 Posts
Most likely due to the cloud's aggressive caching.
It may take longer than usual for posts or forums marked as read.
I'll clear system caches and do some rebuilds and see if this will fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed

·
4,502 Posts
Most likely due to the cloud's aggressive caching.
It may take longer than usual for posts or forums marked as read.
I'll clear system caches and do some rebuilds and see if this will fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed
Mr. Ed
Thanks for the help.

·
4,502 Posts
Still not consistent.
If you log out & clear all the history out of safari. Full wipe! Shut down. Re-boot then log back in it shows everything as unread/new again. Also I’m not sure if it’s normal to show my own post as a new unread post.
Niall thanks for keeping trac on this.
🐷

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After having a day to play with it, I'm finding it's intermittent if I read a post. I think it depends on whether I use the navigation buttons or not (if I use the Back button it doesn't seem to be flagging properly, but if I use the navigation buttons at the top of the page it seems to be). If I manually Mark Read it's clearing and stays clear.

However it doesn't seem to be tracking my read posts between platforms (so stuff that's marked read on my home PC are being left unread on my iPhone or work computer).

·
Administrator
1,501 Posts
After having a day to play with it, I'm finding it's intermittent if I read a post. I think it depends on whether I use the navigation buttons or not (if I use the Back button it doesn't seem to be flagging properly, but if I use the navigation buttons at the top of the page it seems to be). If I manually Mark Read it's clearing and stays clear.

However it doesn't seem to be tracking my read posts between platforms (so stuff that's marked read on my home PC are being left unread on my iPhone or work computer).
Read status marking is cookie based. It wouldn't transfer between devices.

We can try moving it to database based if there is demand for it

Kyle

·
4,502 Posts
I use iPad & iPhone cookies on. nothing on Work equipment...all Mac.

·
4,502 Posts
Are all your devices synced up with including your work devices?
As Kyle noted, it's all cookie-based.

Ed
Seriously Ed that’s a question. In case you hadn’t noticed you can’t operate your site without your cookies on and everything synced

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,888 Posts
Read status marking is cookie based. It wouldn't transfer between devices.

We can try moving it to database based if there is demand for it

Kyle
It's extremely annoying when you use different devices, to find all the posts you have read show up as unread. As a moderator, it's useful to monitor the site while out and about as well as at home, so different devices are necessary.To show read posts as unread is very frustrating, the days have gone when people only ever used the internet on one computer at home.

Please make unread post show as unread whatever device, thanks.

·
Administrator
1,501 Posts
If we do that, it's there will be a period of confusion as the system switches over. It will effect all users.

It will also mean that if you accidentally "Mark all as Read" there will be no going back. Just want to make sure all the cards on the table

Kevin

·
Administrator
1,501 Posts
Marking has been changed. As to people wanting to undo something, mistakes can be made for whatever reason, maybe they look in the wrong menu and it mark all forums as opposed to just mark this forum. Regardless the change is now made.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 66 Posts