Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Forestone tenor saxophones recently, and was just wondering if anyone has played them alongside Yanagisawa saxophones? Also what are people's general thoughts on the Forestone saxophones, I think they look alright, especially after watching Jim Cheek play it on Sax.co.uk.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
You can find a demo here and make some sort of mental comparisons since there isn’t a direct one

Anyway, I like to point out to you that, yes, like many other saxophone assembled from parts bought in Taiwan (or China), the claims of superiority are all based on the questionable factor that “ they "are superior assemblers compared to those folks who do nothing else than assembling horns all day long for years and years in a factory in these countries where the horn's parts come from.

If you are satisfied that that justifies the high pricetag buy anything you like. If you buy a less than well known saxophone NEW, you will find out their true value only the moment you are trying to sell it.

By then you will find out that there are way more people wanting to buy your secondhand Yanagisawa. If, on the other hand, you have found a secondhand Forestone you may be able to get it cheaper than your Yanagiswa because they are less appealing on the secondhand market.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Well, er, cryogenic freezing rather than annealing ... that sounds scary for anybody with even a modicum of metallurgy understanding. Next thing is going to be a 48 hour burn-in period or rather blow-in, hooked up to a compressor? The quality of these horns aside but there is a thing called anti-marketing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you can't try them in person--and it's my personal opinion that you should never buy a horn you can't try first--go with the Yani. They've been around longer and have a great track record, they're well built, and it'll hold its value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts