Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried these based on recommendations here. I could not get one of these patches to stay in place for more than three or four minutes. There seems to be nothing to peel off the back, seems to have its own glue on the patch itself. It feels sticky but will not stay in place. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I tried these based on recommendations here. I could not get one of these patches to stay in place for more than three or four minutes. There seems to be nothing to peel off the back, seems to have its own glue on the patch itself. It feels sticky but will not stay in place. Anyone else have this problem?
I think you overlooked the peel off. I ran into a similar situation a few months ago with some clear patches where I literally had to take a needle and poke in to the side of the patch to lift the peel (I may be wrong in the case of Forestone but take another look)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there is a peel off because the back of the patch is already sticky, but I'll try again. Regarding the 3M mentioned, this sounds like plastic. I like rubber, better on the teeth, more comfortable, and takes some edge out of the sound.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have the opposite experience. Always used 3M and BG clear patches. After months of use they tend to bubble up where the teeth lays, or my BGs were starting to slide leaving some adhesive exposed, which annoyingly pulls your lip skin.

Since I switched to Firestone more the a year ago, the patch still looks like new and hasn’t moved a micron.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
It's always a good idea to wash the mouthpiece in cool water and a dish detergent like Dawn to remove any crud/greasy/oily buildup before applying the patch.
Even a quick wipe with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol will clean the area so the adhesive sticks better.
Most of the 'my patch won't stick' issues are caused by not properly prepping the area.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did wash the surface with a product called goo gone, to remove any residue of glue. Maybe I will try washing again with plain detergent.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
I did wash the surface with a product called goo gone, to remove any residue of glue. Maybe I will try washing again with plain detergent.
If there is any residue of goo gone whatsoever on the beak it will stop the patch from sticking. That is the whole purpose of goo gone to clean up sticky stuff. Plus it is pretty oily stuff also. I would think the dish detergent would get rid of any residue. What mouthpiece is it on?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Bingo!

Goo Gone leaves a pretty slick residue. Plain detergent or Windex, followed by a rinse, will get the surface to where it needs to be.

BTW, that Forestone patch is contaminated now, and I don't know whether you can restore it by similar cleaning, but I'd try.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I washed it with detergent, put it on the piece and did not play it for an hour. Now it sticks fine. Thanks everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Yeah, I washed it with detergent, put it on the piece and did not play it for an hour. Now it sticks fine. Thanks everyone.
Now you just need to find the perfect mouthpiece to put it on. :twisted:

Be well, my friend.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bingo!

Goo Gone leaves a pretty slick residue. Plain detergent or Windex, followed by a rinse, will get the surface to where it needs to be.

BTW, that Forestone patch is contaminated now, and I don't know whether you can restore it by similar cleaning, but I'd try.
It came off during the gig. Not sure if it was one previously contaminated as Dr. G suggests. I'll keep trying (have about four unused remaining) but I'm going to order the other brand as well

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
It came off during the gig. Not sure if it was one previously contaminated as Dr. G suggests. I'll keep trying (have about four unused remaining) but I'm going to order the other brand as well
I'm still curious which mouthpiece this is. I have heard this from others but have no idea why it happens to some and not others. I wonder if the chemistry of a persons saliva or the composition of the mouthpiece play a factor with the glue they use. I know I had one come off a Barone metal mouthpiece. This piece had a bite plate that was a little uneven so I assumed some air or saliva got under there and loosened the grip of the patch.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
314 Posts
I bought one package to compare with my "go to" Vandoren patches. I just tried one which was a lot less stickier than the Vandoren so I lost faith. I should try the rest but since Vandoren does the job better I have not.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Leon, are you using a HR or metal mpc?

I've had no issues whatsoever using a Forestone patch on a HR mpc. It sticks and stays on but is also easy to remove without leaving any residue. And shows almost no wear from my teeth, even after months of use.

However on a metal mpc, it doesn't stick quite as well, so I went back to the clear 3M patch on a metal mpc.

As to Glue Gone, if I used that on a mpc, I'd scrub the mpc very well with soap and water before putting it back in my mouth!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts