Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the french (can-)cane, the german carbonfiber, here comes the nippon bamboo: Forestone.
Has anyone adopted the new (how new are they, Switzerland isn't always at the forefront) Forestone reeds ? Or at least tried them ?
I picked one from our local dealer, for the alto, the trickiest horn for me tone-wise. I'm rather "positively disappointed" (<- trying to translate a local idiomatic expression "déçu en bien" meaning more or less "unexpectedly positively surprised").
Taking it for a band rehearsal today, I'll be more able to comment afterwards.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,683 Posts
I have got two, one on tenor and one on alto. They are in my panoply of artificial reeds which I try when everything else fails or that I have as a back up .
They are ok, the are similar to Legere but a little narrower (or at least they look like that), definitely a good solution for squeaky mouthpieces but they tend to be more buzzy that I would want them to be. Definitely not a good companion for my Ponzols M1 and M2 but they generally perform acceptably with a number of ebonite mpcs . The hardness is difficult to judge but they seem softer than they declare to be and a 3 on tenor plays much like a 2 cane.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I tried one for baritone that was impossibly tough (which probably means I chose the wrong strength - the usual numbers don't apply) - that's why I'd strongly recommend trying before buying (I had to order over the net). On the other hand, the reed looks well made - I'd certainly like to know more. Where did you find them, dexdex?

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried one for baritone that was impossibly tough (which probably means I chose the wrong strength - the usual numbers don't apply) - that's why I'd strongly recommend trying before buying (I had to order over the net). On the other hand, the reed looks well made - I'd certainly like to know more. Where did you find them, dexdex?

M.
Neuchâtel, at B. Geiser's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one for tenor and for alto. Sounded ok on alto, a little harder to control volume but an acceptable tone. Not impressed on tenor, hard to control and terrible tone. That's my experience anyways. Good luck with yours!

P.S Déçu en bien is the exact feeling I get from them too (on alto at least)!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

M.
Amazon has a link that works well. Otherwise, I had to order from the manufacturer in Japan.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Amazon has a link that works well. Otherwise, I had to order from the manufacturer in Japan.
Ordering from the manufacturer was what I did the first time - I need better access first...

dexdex: Thanks - a bit far, but I'll keep it in mind should I ever be in the vicinity.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.