Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
perhaps this is of interest for the european players here that love forestone hinoki reeds.

I just ordered two 2 1/2 strength so called "monster reeds" from thomann - one for tenor and one for alto. The maker is forestone and they are colored in a blue/green , that indicates normaly in nature, that you shouldn't take it in your mouth. www.thomann.de/de/thomann_monster_reed_alto_25.htm

I compared them to some of my forestone reeds I have - and they felt, looked (beside the color)and sounded exactly as my "Hinoki M" reeds. The monster reeds are significant cheaper (17,90 €, compared to 23,50€ for the hinoki), so if you like the hinokis and don't care about the color (and can buy from thomann) you should consider buying the monster reeds. They exist for alto and tenor; and if M and 2,5 is equal strengthwise, you could go from there.

I'm not shure if I like the sound (more on the buzzy, bright side), but for pop - rock - fusion - gigs they should be good. And response and altissimo is really great in my opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,616 Posts
How does the strength compare to natural reed?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does the strenght compare to natural reed?
Ah, yes, I forgot: Normally I play java or v 16 reeds with strength 2 1/2 , so it's comparable with the strenght of the monster reed (at least in this segment)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,616 Posts
interesting, given the price of the natural reeds I have been searching for quite some time a reed that would give me the same result as the Rigotti Jazz.

I have a brown Forestone, one of the first lot that was ever made for selling and it never exited me much, but that was a reed made long ago maybe they have changed their sound concept. I like buzzy reeds (but love the capability of subtoning with the Rigotti)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,906 Posts
My Hinoki MH seems to be a tad softer than a Red Java 3 while the H is a tad harder. YMMV

·
Registered
442 Posts
In my experience with Hinoki, it doesn't give the same result as Rigotti. It's OK for practice. Also the width is a little bit too narrow.
I have been searching for quite some time a reed that would give me the same result as the Rigotti Jazz.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you order at thomann from the US?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I recently tried to reply to this thread to say that I was experimenting with a Hinoki reed and was very impressed by it, but unfortunately I'd spotted that the Honiki reed and Thomann's Monster reed aren't actually the same thing - the real one is "unfiled" and the Thomann version is "filed" or so it looks in the pictures on the Thomann website. I must have clicked the wrong button as my reply hasn't appeared.

But here is an update a few days on after about 10 days playing on it in total. I've noticed that after about 30mins into a session the Hinoki the top notes go thin and I've found the last 1-2mm of the tip develope a little bend. It does seem to recover by the next day after being stored in a reed case. It starts sounding great but doesn't last long till and needs a good rest before it works again. It's back to cane I'm afraid.
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts