Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone had played a Hinoki on alto, what strength might be recommended to have similar resistance to a Java 3, or more exactly a Green 3 or Red 2.5-3, or a D'addario Select Jazz 3S though hopefully with longer playing life? Thanks.

A Hinoki M, otherwise known as 3, plays significantly softer for me than Forestone suggests.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having an issue finding the right strength. MH strength initially felt just about right but seems to soften after a little playing. H plays fuller at forte but at softer dynamics seems to get a fuzzy or spitty sound. Otherwise I did not feel that I had to work too hard, This is on a Meyer 6 or similar tip opening. Anyone who has played White or Black Bamboo, or other Forestone products, how do they compare?

·
Registered
247 Posts
All 3 of the Forestone reeds I've played - black bamboo, alto, M, MH, and H - play WAY softer than I would have expected. The H plays like a Legere Signature 2.75 or 2.5 for me, and that's on a fairly open (.090 inches) mouthpiece. So something is very strange about their strength/numbering system, seems like lots of people have experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Same experience here ... the new Forestone reeds soften considerably after 30 minutes of playing or so. I never had that problem with the old Forestone reeds (but didn't like them on tenor and clarinet). The Hinoki and White Bamboo for clarinet and tenor play great in the beginning but both don't keep the correct strength after a while. Very frustrating, especially since they have the potential to be great reeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts