Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Pretty cool. I heard a rumor (from the sound tech industry) that Walker was 'difficult' in the studio. If this is what they meant, its really not unusual. Sometimes a player relying on emotion is simply not in the mood for a particular tune. The 'patchwork' quality of this solo is evident on the record. The amazing thing is, Walker played it live like they spliced it together, which is a bit of a feat if you've ever tried to do it. One of my favorite Walker numbers is a live 'Tonight Show' appearance where he did 'What Does It Take' with a completely different approach than the record. It was much better in the musical sense but probably would not have sold like the original record did. Its on You Tube and is worth hearing. Anyone who has played on live radio/tv can attest to how difficult it can be. Jr. Walker was a great performer and sax player. The 'quantum leap' across genres he did by doing the Foreigner session was mind-blowing at the time and still stands out. And you have to credit the Foreigner guys for taking a chance on a soul player on a rock record. The drawback to something like that is nobody but the original guy can usually play it live and really sell it. A few guys could play the notes but it wouldn't be the same - but this never stopped the record industry from doing what they had to do to make a hit record - let the chips fall where they may on the record tour.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,300 Posts
I think for many of use 50 year old players, this was a gateway solo introducing us to altissimo back in our salad days.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Does anybody know which mouthpiece Thom Gimbel is actually playing on his Mark 6? I couldn't detect in the vids because Thom is dancing around all the time and rarely shown in a close-up. It might be a silver Guardala or a Berg Larsen. I was told he played a Link in the past, but this is in fact a different mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks, John. I found the pics at Google earlier, but they did not help me to answer my question. Since I rarely use Facebook I missed that part, but your link WAS helpful because one of the pics there show he's playing what looks to me like a vintage Berg Larsen metal.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I rarely use Facebook I missed that part, but your link WAS helpful because one of the pics there show he's playing what looks to me like a vintage Berg Larsen metal.
Welcome. Facebook has become one of the best sites for close up-photos of horns and gear. You can send him a "message" on his FB about the m/p (size). I am sure that he will respond in time.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
126 Posts
I so appreciate the musical history shared here. Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts