Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing flute again, and I feel pain down the length of my forearm after about half an hour of serious practice. I've checked for posture problems and I don't seem to have any, but I do have small wrists, and I've heard that small wrists contribute to problems like carpal-tunnel syndrome and/or tendinitis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure you ice your wrists when you are in pain.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Playing shouldn't cause pain. Make sure you address the cause before you continue practicing. Talk to a qualified professional.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Magical Pig posted a great link for flute posture a while back - PM him he might still have it

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
Lots of people with 'small' wrists play for far longer than 30 minutes with no discomfort.
It may be that you just need to build up more strength, or there is in fact something 'off' about how you are holding your flute.
If there is any tension in your hands it can cause discomfort lower in the arm. Those muscles and tendons/ligaments kind of work together.

I used to get cramps in my hand from extended practice sessions on flute. The purchase and use of a BoPep finger rest has really helped in that area.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to tense up because I'm still getting used to the balance of the flute, since I've been playing alto for a two years now and I haven't played flute in a year.

BTW; it's in my left arm only.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
Inline or offset G?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Offset was going to be my question!!! I assume it is the left hand. Try aligning the head so it is rolled in or out thus making you turn the flute a bit in or out to compensate. You may have the keywork tilted out too much causing a sharp bend to your wrist. If it is the right hand, try the same or try moving you thumb a bit more up or down the body.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an offset G. I keep the keys level, I don't slouch sideways. It's an open hole, but I have the plugs in the G, E and D key cups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts