Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are looking for one of the best altos money can buy, Aaron Barnard has this horn for sale: https://www.barnardrepair.com/alto-saxophones-for-sale/conn-silver-transitional-alto

This was mine, and if I still played alto, it would have never left me. This is one of those very special, once-in-a-lifetime horns. Impeccable intonation, enormously accurate, even by modern standards, and a sound that no other horn will replicate. Huge, enormous depth and complexity, a richness that is unequaled, and a dynamic range that is staggering.

I held onto it for a while but had to be honest that I'm a tenor guy.

If you are looking for THE horn, the best of the best, this is that horn. No, its not on consignment, Aaron owns this horn. But I have to recommend someone getting it if you want the ultimate vintage alto. It's just simply that good.

Congrats to the new owner, because you are a lucky man or woman. I have owned several in this vintage; this one is the best by a mile.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
817 Posts
this matches my Conn Vocabell tumpet in sliver plate!
Man, i wish i liked alto enough to nab this, but alas, just not my thing either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am playing right now on a P. Muriat pmxa 67r horn right now, but I'm only in a senior in highschool and would have to sell my current horn for this one... Would this horn be the only one I'd need for the rest of my life (very versatile), or is it more of a specialty vintage horn?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I am playing right now on a P. Muriat pmxa 67r horn right now, but I'm only in a senior in highschool and would have to sell my current horn for this one... Would this horn be the only one I'd need for the rest of my life (very versatile), or is it more of a specialty vintage horn?
Well, I can tell you about my own experience which is that as a senior in high school I bought a Conn 6M, similar to the one in question, though in lacquer rather than silver and a later generation (different detail design of the microtuner and fixed not swiveling RH thumbrest) and today 41 years later it's still my main alto.

I can also tell you that Marshall Royal who was lead alto for Count Basie for decades played a Conn 6M (again, a slightly later version) for most if not all of his professional career.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I can tell you about my own experience which is that as a senior in high school I bought a Conn 6M, similar to the one in question, though in lacquer rather than silver and a later generation (different detail design of the microtuner and fixed not swiveling RH thumbrest) and today 41 years later it's still my main alto.

I can also tell you that Marshall Royal who was lead alto for Count Basie for decades played a Conn 6M (again, a slightly later version) for most if not all of his professional career.
I guess what I'm asking is, would switching from my muriat to this conn be worth the cost and hassle of selling my old horn, which has a ton of sentimental value
but most importantly, would this improve my ease of playing and sound production?
I like the sound of my horn, but the action just isn't there

·
Registered
392 Posts
That Conn is a great horn, but if you are in schools and spending a lot of time with other student, whether now in high school, or later on in College, I wouldn’t recommend changing. That Conn is going to last you a life time.....but there is no guarantee that you are going to like the sound better than the P. Mauriat. In addition, if you are going to continue to play in a student band, the P. Mauriat is going to be a lot better because it is much easier to replace in the case of damage.

The Conn would be a good additional horn to have fun with, but if you are happy with your P. Mauriat, stick with it.

I love my Conn, but I have 2 horns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That Conn is a great horn, but if you are in schools and spending a lot of time with other student, whether now in high school, or later on in College, I wouldn’t recommend changing. That Conn is going to last you a life time.....but there is no guarantee that you are going to like the sound better than the P. Mauriat. In addition, if you are going to continue to play in a student band, the P. Mauriat is going to be a lot better because it is much easier to replace in the case of damage.

The Conn would be a good additional horn to have fun with, but if you are happy with your P. Mauriat, stick with it.

I love my Conn, but I have 2 horns.
Thanks for the input, this is what I suspected, but saxaholic's post peaked my interest, so I thought I might as well ask.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
"Improve your ease of playing and sound production" makes it sound like you get neither of these things from your Mauriat. You need you take you alto into the shop, spend $100 or so and have it partially overhauled and fully serviced, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the action on these altos. If anything, the action on the Conn will be worse. Your tech needs to adjust the springs, check for binding rods and keys, clean and oil the upper and lower stacks, polish the rods a bit for slicker action.

I guess what I'm asking is, would switching from my muriat to this conn be worth the cost and hassle of selling my old horn, which has a ton of sentimental value
but most importantly, would this improve my ease of playing and sound production?

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Improve your ease of playing and sound production" makes it sound like you get neither of these things from your Mauriat. You need you take you alto into the shop, spend $100 or so and have it partially overhauled and fully serviced, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the action on these altos. If anything, the action on the Conn will be worse. Your tech needs to adjust the springs, check for binding rods and keys, clean and oil the upper and lower stacks, polish the rods a bit for slicker action.
That's a good idea. I bought mine used about 3 or 4 years ago and have never had any work done on it. And in terms of sound production, I just mean possibly a richer and fuller sound
I very much subscribe to the belief that it's about the player not the horn, and I do enjoy playing my muriat. I also haven't really tried many other horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I sure wouldn't go through the hassles of changing instruments at this stage of your life. I had two grandsons go through high school playing alto saxophone - they were whiz-bang players, too. But after high school, they went to the U.S. Air Force Academy and haven't had the time to play since then. Both are now USAFA graduates and into a military career.

The same changes happened to me years ago, (not a military career, although I served). However I was able to keep playing after leaving high school. I did not engage in horn-upgrades until well into my adult life, and for me, none of those horns are with me now. Too many changes . . .

Who knows what lies ahead of you but after high school, your life will change, and probably dramatically. Stick with what you have now and make your life as stress-free as possible. There will be plenty of time to deal with upgrades down the road. DAVE

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sure wouldn't go through the hassles of changing instruments at this stage of your life. I had two grandsons go through high school playing alto saxophone - they were whiz-bang players, too. But after high school, they went to the U.S. Air Force Academy and haven't had the time to play since then. Both are now USAFA graduates and into a military career.

The same changes happened to me years ago, (not a military career, although I served). However I was able to keep playing after leaving high school. I did not engage in horn-upgrades until well into my adult life, and for me, none of those horns are with me now. Too many changes . . .

Who knows what lies ahead of you but after high school, your life will change, and probably dramatically. Stick with what you have now and make your life as stress-free as possible. There will be plenty of time to deal with upgrades down the road. DAVE
Very true, thanks for the input! I'm already struggling to predict what an impact music will have on my life after high school, as I've been playing violin and piano classically since I was 4 along with saxophone which I started in 6th grade, yet, I'd really like to major in Computer Engineering in college, a much more financially stable career (I don't mean to offend)...
Seeing what happens in college and after is probably the best move.

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the other posters. I have played those Mauriats, and while I feel this Conn is infinitely superior, there isn't anything wrong with the Mauriats. They can be great horns. My only concern with them is the tone holes...i have found them to be inconsistently made. But, if yours is ok, switching it out isn't necessary.

If music is going to be a hobby for you, and you want a creme de la creme alto, then by all means go for the Conn. But don't assume the horn will instantly make you a better player. Get the Mauriat to a tech and make sure its in perfect playing condition and then see how it feels. You might be surprised.

All the journeys for us are unique. Your horn is a solid one, granted there aren't any manufacturing defects. Will the Conn sound richer and fuller? My opinion is an over-emphatic yes. But you're young, let life play out a bit before you go all out on a horn and cause any financial stress. If you have the spare money and it provides no financial stress, then by all means go for it. But odds are, waiting will be better.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Very true, thanks for the input! I'm already struggling to predict what an impact music will have on my life after high school, as I've been playing violin and piano classically since I was 4 along with saxophone which I started in 6th grade, yet, I'd really like to major in Computer Engineering in college, a much more financially stable career (I don't mean to offend)...
Music and engineering are a great mix - says the guy that just retired (science/engineering) and has been playing saxophone for 50+ years.

No offense taken. There are a great number of members that are professionals in degreed areas other than music.

The good thing is that you can keep music in your life regardless of your choice.

Enjoy the Path.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
What you need to do is to get your mitts on a well set up Conn 6M and find out how you like it. Your reactions could range all the way from

"This is the best damn horn I've ever played and the Mauriat is gone!"

through

"meh"

to

"I hate it! What on earth are those people talking about that think this thing is so great?"

Until you have done this, all discussion is basically a waste of hot air.

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you need to do is to get your mitts on a well set up Conn 6M and find out how you like it. Your reactions could range all the way from

"This is the best damn horn I've ever played and the Mauriat is gone!"

through

"meh"

to

"I hate it! What on earth are those people talking about that think this thing is so great?"

Until you have done this, all discussion is basically a waste of hot air.
Wise words. A horn can be THE one for someone and nothing for the next person. Best to play one first. That being said, I think any player can appreciate a well set up 6M. It might not be to their particular taste, but they can be exceptional horns. The late tranny 6Ms in the 250,xxx range are the best of the vintage IMO.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
I've heard a guy on You tube do tons of demos using the PMauriet horn. He sounds great. It funny how slow my YAS 82 Z was with a big tip piece and how much faster it got when I went down from my Ernie north way to a 6 tip 10 M showboat and now a smaller tip Knox piece. The speed and flexibility got much better. Also as far as "the horn" . That all depends on "the sound" you hear. If you want to replicate a tone from 60 years ago thats one thing , or a tone from 30 years ago or the tone your heard some guy recently you liked.. Thats where I'd get direction from . Alto tone has many choices if you think about it. So "the horn" for one era might not be what you want in the end? For your horn high baffle pieces seem to work well since they offset the dark tone of the P. I had a tenor one years ago and it reminded me of a fat Martin tone with better ergonomics. But in the end its what you like to play and how if feels in your mouth/hands. K

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yes, day job to pay the bills, play after hours and on weekends. I went to college for music performance for one year after high school (1982 -83) as I was not sure of what to do. Everyone thought I should be a music teacher.........no way, not for me. After a year I decided that Engineering was the path for financial stability and music for the side. Looking back it was 100% the right choice. Good Engineers are in demand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Yes, day job to pay the bills, play after hours and on weekends. I went to college for music performance for one year after high school (1982 -83) as I was not sure of what to do. Everyone thought I should be a music teacher.........no way, not for me. After a year I decided that Engineering was the path for financial stability and music for the side. Looking back it was 100% the right choice. Good Engineers are in demand.
Thats what i tell kids now. The happiest musicians I know have good day jobs. K

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats what i tell kids now. The happiest musicians I know have good day jobs. K
Agreed. I only know a select few guys who play for a living only and are living very comfortably and get to enjoy having a family, vacations, nice home, etc....its tough to do.

-Saxaholic

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I were you, I'd sell the alto and get a tenor; that would be a much better improvement than getting a different alto, even if it were a 6m. Of course, I might be a bit biased...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts