Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Very Nice!!! Looks like Sonny was on a diet. Damn but he could get around the horn. Great shots of his fingers staying on the keys too.

Anyone have the album "Best of The Rest" ? Picked it up when I was in NY years ago and I just keep coming back to it. Lots of Sonny playing alto. Gorgeous version of "I Got it Bad."

Can anyone recommend some albums of Sonny playing blues, but on alto? I have the usual culprits with Sonny on tenor, but I just love Sonny on alto and I'd really like to listen and see if he approaches things differently on alto than he does on tenor.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm with you DP,
I love Sonny Stitt on Alto.

Check out another alto Sonny (Sonny Criss). Good too.:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sonny is da man.

I have the Sonny Stitt Verve collection (No50) which has a dozen or so Jazz standards.

Also the Sonny Stitt : Legends of Acid JAzz CD (1971) has two tracks of Sonny playing alto (Goin to DC and Where is love)

Tenor tracks include BBQ man, Them funky Changes, Turn it on .......

- this cd has greats like Melvin Sparks - guitar, Leon Spencer on the B3 and Idris Muhammed on drums - are you starting to get the sound?!?!:rr:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Check out "Constellation", with Barry Harris, Sam Jones, and Roy Brooks. VERY BURNING!!! "Tune- Up", is another great album. Stitt plays alto, and tenor on both of these. For Stitt on tenor only, listen to "Sonny Side Up", by Dizzy, Stitt, and Rollins- UNBELIEVABLE!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dog Pants said:
Can anyone recommend some albums of Sonny playing blues, but on alto? .
Aside from picking through Sax O' Bebop for tunes on alto, check out the following cd's if you don't have them:

-New York Jazz (alto and tenor/sometimes on same tune)
-Autumn in New York (all alto)
-Just In Case You Forgot How Bad I Really Was (with Richie Cole and John Handy on sax)
-Personal Appearance (alto and tenor)

to name a few...

·
3,764 Posts
Thanks fellas.

I'll have to wait a week or two. Just grabbed a Cannonball Box Set and some Horace Silver. :) My wallet is crying "Mercy Mercy Mercy!":D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stitt only on Alto playing Blues

How about Only The Blues on Verve- it does have 1 Rhythmn changes one but all the rest are Blues on Alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I love sonny's tenor playing. If you could find it "Sonny's Back" from like 1980. Great Album pretty funny cover of Sonny's Back

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks! I didn't know him very well! I particularly really love his alto playing! Pity that the sound of this video isn't that good ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Short list of my fav Sonny albums

Sonny Side up w/Diz and Rollins - one of my first jazz albums
Sonny Stitt Sits In With the Oscar Peterson Trio - Half alto/half tenor. Swings like crazy
Endgame Brilliance: Constellation & Tune Up! - Sonny at his best
Boss Tenors w/Gene Ammons - any pretty much anything else he did with Jug

These videos reenforce what I've been told about sonny. That he almost always used the same brand of mouthpiece on alto and tenor, whether it be Meyers, Links, or whatever.

·
3,764 Posts
Agent27 said:
Short list of my fav Sonny albums

Sonny Side up w/Diz and Rollins - one of my first jazz albums
Sonny Stitt Sits In With the Oscar Peterson Trio - Half alto/half tenor. Swings like crazy
Endgame Brilliance: Constellation & Tune Up! - Sonny at his best
Boss Tenors w/Gene Ammons - any pretty much anything else he did with Jug

These videos reenforce what I've been told about sonny. That he almost always used the same brand of mouthpiece on alto and tenor, whether it be Meyers, Links, or whatever.
Curtis, at http://www.saxsolos.com/ has both "Blues Up and Down" and "Counter Clockwise."

I'm still working on 'em. :D

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Its funny to see Sonny playing with a Rovner lig!! Any Ideas what tip opening Sonny used on his links? I vauley remember reading it was a 10*? Any one else know for sure????

Also here is a nice youtube clip of him playing a blues on tenor with Sal Salvador (Kenton guitarist) which is recorded in 1958 so I guess he's probably playing his famous double ring link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMW1r_hOmog

There used to be an awsome youtube video of him playing loverman on alto but that disapeared which was a real shame!

·
6,862 Posts

·
3,875 Posts
Dog Pants said:
Curtis, at http://www.saxsolos.com/ has both "Blues Up and Down" and "Counter Clockwise."

I'm still working on 'em. :D
I prefer my own transcriptions. My transcription of Tune Up from Endgame Brilliance is slightly different from the one Tim Price has in his Tenor Solos Book and the one in the new Hal Leonard Stitt transcription book. Same solo, 3 different (but mostly similar) transcriptions. I just trust my ears and thoroughness over somebody elses word.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts