Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just giving a quick browse this is loaded with all sorts of great stuff - it doesn't appear that there are any Sonny Stitt books about the man, his life, & music. This was a project worthy of a dissertation for sure. Looking forward to digging deeper as time allows.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,563 Posts
Fascinating.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
731 Posts
Wow, thanks for that. I'm both a Stitt and a Parker fan, so I downloaded the PDF pronto. Perfect reading for the commute to work.

Kenneth

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
What a great achievement! I would have killed to be able to read something like this a decade ago. Now I need to try and find the time!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just did a perusal this morning and I have to say that this is some very illustrative material from an academic point of view. My impression is that artistically Stitt has gotten more attention within the last few years, lots of saxophone players are rediscovering a lot of his qualities, especially on tenor.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I saw Sonny Stitt live in 1982 at a small bar in Toronto called The Chicken Deli. He sat in a chair when he played that one nighter and he just swung the whole rhythm section. I ended up playing in a band, a once a month gig at that venue for a couple of years. Sonny Stitt, I am a big fan!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts