Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to play all Selmer Mark VI in the 1970's and 1980's. I played flute for 30 years, and only just decided to get back into saxophone. After a lot of reading and a lot of trepidation I ordered the Barone Vintage Tenor in Vintage Gold. Then I bought a Classic Alto, also in Vintage Gold.

I honestly don't know how I could be happier with my purchases. I, too, remember the days when Selmer stood all alone at the top, but boy are those days over. I've had a couple of months now to experiment with my Barones and I just love the sound, the playability, the intonation -- especially the intonation -- and, as the king in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" remarked, I even like the color.

So, if you are considering a saxophone purchase, and are at all concerned about budget, take it from me (on top of all the other people who have said it): These are outstanding horns, which fully live up to professional standards. Whatever you want to do on saxophone, a Barone will be able to do it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Great to hear you're getting back into sax.

I have the reverse of your pair - Classic tenor and Vintage alto - in Honey Gold Lacquer.

I am extremely happy with my purchase and with the service from Phil.

Also, like you, I played a lot on a MkVI (tenor) in the 70s and 80s. My Barone is a good match in intonation and ergonomics and it's great to have a horn without the inflated valuation.

You're probably going to hear a lot of committed MkVI owners saying that it's impossible for a modern Taiwanese horn to be comparable in any way to their iconic instruments. But you won't hear it so much from players who have actually owned both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
77 Posts
I love the sound of my bare brass alto Barone. So does our vocalist who goes crazy for it. I can take part of the credit I suppose, but she is disappointed every time I play anything else, like a Selmer Paris for example. One of the greatest value bargains out there, $ for sound quality and performance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I love the sound of my bare brass alto Barone. So does our vocalist who goes crazy for it. I can take part of the credit I suppose, but she is disappointed every time I play anything else, like a Selmer Paris for example.
You can probably take credit for that too - there's nothing wrong with the sound of a good Selmer played well.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ouchie?!

You can probably take credit for that too - there's nothing wrong with the sound of a good Selmer played well.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Thank you guys (and gals) I really appreciate all you comments. I love selling the horns and so cheap too and I'll keep trying to sell them cheap as long as they sell them to me cheap although I hear they will be raising the prices on me. I beg my guy not to but they have their own agendas. Pat, I'm sorry but I'm behind on the mouthpieces, but it will go out by the end of the week. Oh, and the New York models will be ready in about a month or so and they are smoking! The darkest yet most free-blowing mouthpiece ever made. And loud too! Phil Barone

·
1,706 Posts
Pat, I'm sorry but I'm behind on the mouthpieces, but it will go out by the end of the week. Oh, and the New York models will be ready in about a month or so and they are smoking! The darkest yet most free-blowing mouthpiece ever made. And loud too! Phil Barone
Take your time Phil. I know you're scathing about Lakeys but mine has been my main piece for nearly thirty years and it's like an extension of me. I'm looking forward to the modified Hollywood 7* though, and I intend to give it a really thorough testing. You bet!

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Thank you guys (and gals) I really appreciate all you comments. I love selling the horns and so cheap too and I'll keep trying to sell them cheap as long as they sell them to me cheap although I hear they will be raising the prices on me. I beg my guy not to but they have their own agendas. Pat, I'm sorry but I'm behind on the mouthpieces, but it will go out by the end of the week. Oh, and the New York models will be ready in about a month or so and they are smoking! The darkest yet most free-blowing mouthpiece ever made. And loud too! Phil Barone
Maybe i should get myself one of these Philmesiter.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
It is nice to be able to just look at the site and see the REAL price! That is the luxury of being a one man show...I really hate all the MAP business. I like to know real prices, and not have to jump through hoops to get them.

If I wanted to get jerked around and pay a flexible price based on how much the salesperson thinks I should pay (comission), I would just go buy a car...Or a new big four horn from a major retailer.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have a Classic Tenor Unlaquered, and it Can't be beat! I have played a Mark IV for almost 30 years. I sold it, bought a barone, paid some bills, and couldn't be happier!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Well I just discovered Tenor Avenue, so not a lot I can say about the PB Tenors,... not just yet. But each day, I try spending more and more face time in the Tenorville, USA road map. But I've been traveling up-n-down Alto Road for about 3 years now, and the PB Vintage Alto is one of the best sounding Alto's I've heard,... especially when someone more experienced and better than me is blowing into it. The sound that comes out of it just seems a tad more seasoned than the sound coming out of the other altos I've heard. Granted, most of the altos I've been exposed to are horns used by my fellow students, but a few are mid to high end Selmers and JK's. Still, my Barone can more than hold it's own. Maybe next year I can say more about the PB Tenors.

What I don't need to wait 'til next year for, is to say how supportive Mr. Barone has been. Thinking you'd get this kind of support and service from a chain is like thinking it is completely possible to walk to the moon. In my eyes, Mr. Barone deserves the '5 cookies-n-glass o'milk' award.

Jr.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Just bought a Classic tenor in Vintage Gold lacquer (very nice!). Blows rings around my Mark VI that I've had since 1976. (The horn is older than that, "almost a 5-digit", serial 100,xxx.)

Pictures this weekend ericpd, I promise.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ok Im a newbie to this land of new horns.

Here is my 'dilemma": I don't really like the (overly?) focused sound of many great horns.. incl the MK VI and Kings Super 20 etc.

I know there are lots of variables, incl YOU/ME but, where do I find a sound that is not too spread like my old satin silver Conn/Pan Am (in great shape and tone for age btw) and not rocker blues-er focused. Im not Blue Note devotee, or worshiper of Coltranes sound. Its got it's place in the pantheon of American Classical music for sure and I love a good Hammond B3 session or Art Farmer/Clifford Jordan thing, but,... I'd rather sound like a great soloist from the Dorsey or Goodman band, with a bit more edge, if you know what I mean. (What was his name? the big guy that also sang?)

anyway, do either of the Barone horns "harken back" or are they all in the school of "MK VI only better"? If so, and I get the feeling they are, that's what makes the world go around; different strokes. Of all of the Taiwan horns out there it seems his may be one of the best, but perhaps the others that are also good, are more in tune with my 'sound concept"

·
Banned
492 Posts
Well I don't know enough about the sounds of all the other horns out there,... I'm a newbie too. But I can say this, the Barone 'Vintage' models are definitely not in the school of MkVI. Most peeps say the Barone 'Classic' models are more MkVI sounding. I own a Barone Vintage Alto and it sounds little like the Selmers I find myself around,... granted none of them are MkVI's. I know there's a 54, and Balanced Action something or other, and my Vintage is way more fatter sounding and spread than those Selmers.

·
1,706 Posts
I'd rather sound like a great soloist from the Dorsey or Goodman band, with a bit more edge, if you know what I mean. (What was his name? the big guy that also sang?)
Could you be referring to Tex Beneke? He played and sang with the Glenn Miller Band.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Regarding "focused" vs. "spread" sound - I really don't think that you can attribute that quality of the sound primarily to the horn. Not saying the horn doesn't have an effect, just saying that the sound you get will be yours, no matter the horn. IMHO, the order of things affecting the sound, from most influential to least influential is the following:

The player's mind - that is, the player's concept of sound
The player's experience
The player's body
The mouthpiece
The reed
The saxophone

The reason I believe this is a) I have played many saxophones (not as many as some, but many). b) It always sounds like me. c) When we have recorded or live examples of other people switching horns, it always sounds like them.

Two notable (!) examples of this are Dexter Gordon's well-documented forced switch to a Mark VI from a 10m in the mid-sixties, and Phil Woods' switch to a Yamaha from a Mark VI in 2002 or so.

Some people can tell (or say they can tell) which horn Dexter is playing, but to be honest I can't. If you put a recording known to be on the 10m next to a recording known to be on the Mark VI, any differences in tone, range, etc. are minute - and likely due more to the mouthpiece (from a Dukoff to a Link) than the horn. It is still undeniably Dexter, same concept, same attitude, and same tone. I've always said I can recognize Dexter in one note.

Ditto for Phil Woods, though more so I think. There is very little change in his sound after the switch, and what changes there are could be put down to differences in health and stamina. Phil claims (or maybe it's Yamaha that is claiming) that it was becoming much more difficult for him to play, and that the 82 was so much easier to play, that he switched immediately. Hey, it's hard keeping those old Mark VIs in top playing condition.

I think the real test of a good horn is that it fit you and make it easier for you to achieve your sound and concept. By that token, even though I've only been a Barone owner for 11 days now, I can say with confidence that these horns fill the bill. My Barone is head and shoulders above my Mark VI, and definitely in the category of best horns I've ever played.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts