Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mouthpiece is plastic and looks can be cleaned easily by using alcohol or soup and water.

But the reed maybe need a new one?

I saw there is a size on the box of old reed, like 2.5". Is it suitable for middle school student?

Which brand of reed should I buy? Buy 10 of them or buy 1?

Do you guys change the whole mouthpiece or just reed only?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
What type of mouthpiece came with the horn? Are there any markings on it? If it is a mouthpiece designed for beginners, made by a reputable brand, and does not appear to be damaged, it's probably fine. Yes, you can use alcohol and/or soap and water. However, if the mouthpiece is hard rubber, don't use hot water, just lukewarm or you can discolor it.

Unless the horn has recently been serviced, you should really take it to a tech for a check-up. Woodwind instruments have a tendency to develop small leaks over time. If your pads are leaking, you will struggle trying to play the horn. Expect to pay around $50 for a basic check up unless the horn has significant issues.

As for the reeds, you should buy a box. We can give you recommendations as to specific reeds, but it would really help to know more about the mouthpiece first, because you have to match the reed to the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Please do not put anything into your mouth till you do the following!

1) wash the mouthpiece, inside and out, with soap and cool (not hot!) water
2) Toss any reeds that you cannot be 100% confident have never been played.

Please do not put someone else's used reed in your mouth!
\
Since you are obviously a beginner, I would buy a box of Rico #2 reeds and start from there.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you are going to purchase a box of reeds, I would purchase Orange Rico 2.5. If the mouthpiece is a beginners mouthpiece, I think you will find an 2.0 reed will have 8 or 9 reeds too many in it...you will quickly need 2.5 reeds. If you can purchase individual reeds, purchase a couple of 2.0 reeds.

No reason to change the mouthpiece. Just wash it.

Using someone else’s reed is disgusting....but if you grew up in the 70s, like I did, you have probably done it once or twice and lived. I’m not promoting intentionally risking your health, but it turns out that getting someone else’s germs once in a while is actually good for keeping your immune system in shape........

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Using someone else’s reed is disgusting....but if you grew up in the 70s, like I did, you have probably done it once or twice and lived. I’m not promoting intentionally risking your health, but it turns out that getting someone else’s germs once in a while is actually good for keeping your immune system in shape........
Not that I’d ever want to use anyone else’s reed, but to put this in perspective. . . .Are you therefore opposed to kissing? Wouldn’t that be intentionally risking one’s health just as much as using someone else’s reed? And it has benefits beyond the immune system . . .

Traveling on an airplane, or eating in most restaurants, probably exposes one to more germs than an old reed. Again, not looking to use others’ reeds, and not suggesting it, but it’s not gonna kill you . . Well, not instantly anyway. I think it takes a couple of weeks or so before you keel over.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wouldn't use another person's reed if you paid me. I still remember the year in high school band when most of the trumpet section, sax section (excluding prudish me) and ONE flute player came down with mono. The flautist was female, and the others exclusively male...hmm. Reed sharing isn't caring!

·
28,953 Posts
Wouldn't use another person's reed if you paid me. I still remember the year in high school band when most of the trumpet section, sax section (excluding prudish me) and ONE flute player came down with mono. The flautist was female, and the others exclusively male...hmm. Reed sharing isn't caring!
It's also a very bad idea to kiss other people. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's also a very bad idea to kiss other people. :)
That's why I only kiss myself. I must often jump back to do so, and, as Victor Wooten suggested, smell my feet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I still remember the year in high school band when most of the trumpet section, sax section (excluding prudish me) and ONE flute player came down with mono. The flautist was female, and the others exclusively male...hmm.
Excuse me, sir, are you trying to cast aspersions upon her reputation? How dare you! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Excuse me, sir, are you trying to cast aspersions upon her reputation? How dare you! ;)
I apologize for that. It was obviously a tainted reed and the young lady in question was a saint. :p

OP, reeds are a wear item. They are permeable and porous and trap bacteria. Maintaining a healthy immune system can be accomplished by other means. I repair plumbing for a living but I don't put used sewer pipes in my mouth (my sax is the exception.)

·
28,953 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advises.

Anyway, I couldn't wait to buy new reed, too exciting for testing the sound of Sax.

So, I put the used 2.5 reed into Listerine UltraClean for few hours, and blow the horn for the first time, it is very loud.

Where is the reliable and cheapest website to buy Rico reeds?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I apologize for that. It was obviously a tainted reed and the young lady in question was a saint. :p

OP, reeds are a wear item. They are permeable and porous and trap bacteria. Maintaining a healthy immune system can be accomplished by other means. I repair plumbing for a living but I don't put used sewer pipes in my mouth (my sax is the exception.)
Nobody suggested you should suck on your MPC... haven't you heard you are supposed to blow? With sewer pipes, that may be different, I agree :mrgreen:

·
28,953 Posts
Where is the reliable and cheapest website to buy Rico reeds?
Do they even still make reeds ? I thought it was D'addario now.

I would recommend Lupifaro if you want cane reeds and prefer to buy a box with all/most of the reeds actually playable.

But I prefer to use synthetic reeds now (consistent and good, e.g. Legere Signature. Disclaimer: I am an endorser)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Thanks for the advises.
:|...has there been any thus far ???? :shock:

Romeo..what brand/model mouthpiece is it ?

Hard to offer reed suggestions if we have no idea what the mouthpiece may be.

If you are in a hurry, is there a musical instrument store in your town ? Most would likely have some woodwind reeds for sale....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:|...has there been any thus far ???? :shock:

Romeo..what brand/model mouthpiece is it ?

Hard to offer reed suggestions if we have no idea what the mouthpiece may be.

If you are in a hurry, is there a musical instrument store in your town ? Most would likely have some woodwind reeds for sale....
No brand mouth piece.

Black plastic one.

I will check nearby local store.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts