Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The Handmade (I play one) is a slimmer body than the Precision, fits tighter on the neck cork also. No two mouthpieces ever play the same but in general I found the Handmade to have a slightly brighter sound. I would not order one in a larger tip than you can handle. Ted's Focus-Tone facings IMO have some resistance, but are very balanced and play well for me. I will never part with mine. I use a 6* with 3 reeds.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
372 Posts
I've owned both and would agree with Berg-Man that the hand made is slightly brighter. I also found that the Precision has just a touch more meat to the sound. Everyone is different but I did not find either to have a lot of resistance. The Ponzols I had at one time had far more resistance than the TKs. FYI..Ted uses a 108 on his tenor, not sure about alto. I met him at Washington Music Center last Friday, super nice guy and a monster player.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The Ponzols I had at one time had far more resistance than the TKs.
You're right about Ponzols, very short facings with lots of resistance. The Klum F-T's are perfect in terms of resistance for me, but I know of some players who didn't care for the resistance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,377 Posts
I will just add that there have been nine versions of HandCrafted FocusTones since Ted started doing this. There are less than 700 of these anywhere in the world as it stands. The current generation of HandCrafted tenor pieces has the largest of all the chambers. The Precision starts off as a CNC machined blank, and we feel the Precision is closest to the CAD file. As a result, I would say that Version Nine is probably the darkest of all of them with a chamber much larger than a STM. Precision definitely has a heavy sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
I own a handcraft and a standard model which is now called the precision(I think I am correct on this).The handcraft for me is brighter and I play it the most but I do love the fat warm tone I get from the standard model also.TK's pieces have allowed me to get the sound I have been searching for on Tenor & Bari.I hope someday to be able to meet him in person & shake his hand....yea and you too sebastian.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys this is all really useful :) if anyone has any other comments regarding these pieces id love to hear them

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I will just add that there have been nine versions of HandCrafted FocusTones since Ted started doing this. There are less than 700 of these anywhere in the world as it stands. The current generation of HandCrafted tenor pieces has the largest of all the chambers. The Precision starts off as a CNC machined blank, and we feel the Precision is closest to the CAD file. As a result, I would say that Version Nine is probably the darkest of all of them with a chamber much larger than a STM. Precision definitely has a heavy sound.
Larger doesn't really better IMO. What I like about the original F-T's is that they are focused and brighter than a Link STM. I think Ted answered the call for a brighter Florida Link styled piece with a good rollover and med-large chamber. If Ted is changing chamber sizes, I think the pieces should be marked with a version designation.

·
1,377 Posts
Berg-Man,

I understand your comments fully. Each version has gotten progressively larger since he started doing this. Currently it is possible to have several versions cast, notably Version 1. Interestingly enough, not one customer has returned a version 9 because it was too dull sounding or not focused enough. It is however darker than previous models. I will pass your comment along to Ted, who always wants to know what people think.

FWIW, Ted would not describe his baffles as 'roll-over'. To him, and to me, that denotes a hump, or roundness behind the tip rail. That area sounds the best when it is flat, to my school of thought. Ted's baffles are reasonably flat and extend for a prescribed length etc. The baffle shape and profile and length is key with any larger chambered mouthpiece to keep the piece from blowing on the dead side. On the flipside, it there is too much it can act as a detriment to positive airflow and come out a little harsh sounding, to my ears anyway.

SK

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
372 Posts
Hey Sebastian, can you give a description of his new London model for tenor. I think Berg-Man may be interested.

·
1,377 Posts
whats the london model?????
The London Tenor is a similar concept as the London Baritone: Long shelf type baffle that transitions into the chamber by a bullet. These are very VERY labor intensive due to the time consuming nature of the chamber work. These are the nicest sounding 'loud' tenor mouthpieces I've ever tried.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
That sounds interesting! Keep us posted.....

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I see what all the fuss is about now.Got me a handcrafted focustone 115 and its so smooth.The more i play it the more i like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,223 Posts
I see what all the fuss is about now.Got me a handcrafted focustone 115 and its so smooth.The more i play it the more i like it.
What reeds are you runnin' on the FocusTone?

I just tried some Vandoren V-16 and now it barks!

It's amazing how much difference a change in reed brand/cut can make on some mouthpieces.

(Of course, that's on my Borgani - other horns may not be as responsive. :twisted: )

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
It's been my experience that people like these pieces when they play on harder reeds. You get more core from your sound on a piece with this kind of curve, thin rails and baffle shape/profile.
What kind of curve does the Precision model have? I've been curious about this.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
What reeds are you runnin' on the FocusTone?

I just tried some Vandoren V-16 and now it barks!

It's amazing how much difference a change in reed brand/cut can make on some mouthpieces.

(Of course, that's on my Borgani - other horns may not be as responsive. :twisted: )
As normal i'm using Rico jazz select 2 hard unfiled.I may try the 3 soft RJS as i normaly play on a 118 tip and the TK is a 115.Remember Dr G i'm on my Z so its super responsive:bluewink:.You can count on that for sure.Done a jazz trio rehearsal lastnite on the TK and it was sweet as.Doing a theatre disco show rehearsal tonite so will also be using it.It sure blows and sounds great.I just have to remember to keep my throat more open and relax atad more when i blow it.There sound for jazzy stuff is fantastic.I'm having great fun on it and it sounds great on a mic.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts