Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have several of these Hamilton Sax Stands with rotted foam tubing (Model KB560).

Over the years, the black foam tubing has rotted, deteriorated and split causing the sax to pivot, scratch and require re-positioning. I do not like using the stands like this.

Does anyone know what type, and technical size this Black Foam Tubing is and where I can order it from. Home Depot does not have it and ordering it online is unproductive if I do not know the exact measurements of the tubing.

It is a little difficult to measure being so old, split, and rotted.

I'm hoping, maybe someone here has had this problem and has a link for the foam tubing that they were successful using.

Thanks
Musical instrument Font Slope Musical instrument accessory Event

· Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,372 Posts
Pipe insulation - home depot

· Registered
9,640 Posts
Well, first of all, the Hamilton stands don't use foam, at least not all of the ones I've seen.

Second, go to a real hardware store, not Home Despot or Lowe's, and they will have a selection of tubing of different materials sold by the foot. Try different ones till you find something you can cram on there and won't fall off.

You try to order a foot of generic plastic tubing you'll pay three times the cost of the tubing in shipping, or you'll have to buy a 20 foot roll that you'll never use up.

If you don't have a silver plated horn, auto parts stores have a good selection of tubing too, but most of it's vulcanized rubber and will tarnish silver.

· Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,196 Posts
If all else fails, a quick wrap with self adhesive 'vet wrap' will work in a pinch. It comes in several colors and patterns if you're feeling festive.
That being said, a plastic tubing would be my suggestion for a more permanent solution.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Well, first of all, the Hamilton stands don't use foam, at least not all of the ones I've seen.
How far back are you thinking? The ones I got in the 70s used foam. But I've also seen rubber(vinyl?) on others, possibly from the 60s.

I much prefer lighter, modern stands, which also tend to be dirt cheap. I've gotten several very rugged double stands for $10 each on sale. Not worth sourcing and paying shipping for bunch of special foam you'll never use up.

@Global Woodwind, can you be more specific about the pipe insulation? What I recall being available at Home Depot is typically at least a half inch thick and quite large in diameter. Wouldn't come anywhere close to fitting a stand.

· Premium Member
Selmer MK VI, Selmer SA80 II Silver-plate Alto, Selmer SA80 II Silver-Plated Tenor, Yani Soprano SC
263 Posts
@Global Woodwind, can you be more specific about the pipe insulation? What I recall being available at Home Depot is typically at least a half inch thick and quite large in diameter. Wouldn't come anywhere close to fitting a stand.
Sorry? Was this for me? I'm just at a loss as to your question?

· Registered
MKVI Alto Berg-95/0
843 Posts
Don't forget you can always just wrap the sucker in electrical tape.

Don't overthink the thing. You just want to pad it enough not to scratch the horn.
As an old electronics tech, use 3M tape, but never use black tape.
White is advised.

· Registered
106 Posts
Joe Allard just draped an old towel over the stand. I never particularly liked that solution, so I used a length of narrow rubber tubing. It was ribbed, which gave it an extra bit of bite. However, this was years ago, and I've not been able to find a suitable replacement since then.

· Registered
356 Posts
3M rubber repair tape is a good option, since it‘s heavy duty. Another option is hockey stick tape.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts