Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, here is what I would do (and I have a WJ and an anvil case for it). Call the guy who hired you, and make them cough up the bread for a seat for your horn. I used to do this during my cruise ship days before 9/11 if it was during a peak travel period. Otherwise, I carried my bari and tenor on the plane with no issues. These days, if someone is hiring you for a gig like that, they should be paying for a ticket for your horn.

Oh, and shipping a horn in an anvil case works well too. I've done that twice now (for overhauls). I just slap the shipping labels right on the case!

·
Registered
290 Posts
MoonPie said:
I know there's a lot of info about this topic that's available using the search efeature, but it seems like many posts are along the lines of finding something good and inexpensive.

Let's say, hypothetically, that you already have a WJ case for the bari and you need to fly overseas. Renting at the destination is not an option and neither is buying a horn once you get there.

Let's say you have a bari and already have a WJ case and you bubble-wrap the heck out of the horn itself.

If you could spend up to $1000 on a "solution" for getting the horn to the destination is good shape:

Do you get an anvil-type case to encase the WJ?
Do you get a BAM case and that should be sufficient?
Do you get a BAM case and then get an anvil-type case to encase the BAM?
Something else?

Hypothercially, of course!
As someone already mentioned here, damage is only half of the battle. Making sure it gets there at all is the real issue. The "least hassle and stress" option is to buy a seat for it. That way, you know your horn is fine, and when a snotty attendant wants to give you crap about your big case you can show her your ticket, get on the plane, put it in the overhead (yes the WJ fits fine - as long as you don't have the case with wheels) like you would normally, and have two seats to yourself in the completely packed plane.

I had one incident years ago (late '90's) with Air France where I was essentially forced to buy a seat for my horn (or check it in my WJ - not going to happen) after the first leg of a three leg flight. When I got on the last flight (Paris-JFK), I stashed the horn in a closet and sat down. The flight was completely full, and they were still trying fit people on. They wanted the seat back! I gave the attendant an ear full and they gave up. I had two seats and two meals (their food is actually decent) that flight... To top it off, after I got home, I wrote Air France a letter and got my money back for the second ticket!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts