Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Vagrog said:
The problem is I'm only playing this bari for the 4 months. The school I have owns a Mk VII Bari, but I can't take that so I need to rent one. I don't want to put out 500 bucks on a case I'll use twice. I'll call the airport and see what they say.
Vagrog, I'm sorry to say that unless you put that horn in a bullet-proof case, you're likely going to end up with the horror story you're trying to avoid.

If you're renting this bari for the trip but have another to play at home, I'd consider shipping it as cargo, maybe as a counter-to-counter shipment with the airline (you might be able to get it on the same flight you're on). You'll pay to do that and you have to pack it properly, but the advantage to shipping is you can insure it and make the airline responsible for any damage that occurs.

The other suggestion I have is to call music shops in Ft. Lauderdale and see if you can rent the horn there instead of flying with it. If you're renting a horn anyway, you might as well do it at the destination and spare yourself the risks of transport.

BTW so you know... If it were me in your shoes, I would probably pass on the gig if I couldn't arrange for a horn at the port. Let's pretend the airline hammers the horn on your way down: what's your plan B? Will the gig pay enough to cover replacement if it's a total loss? It happens.

-Leanne

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
MoonPie said:
I know there's a lot of info about this topic that's available using the search efeature, but it seems like many posts are along the lines of finding something good and inexpensive.

Let's say, hypothetically, that you already have a WJ case for the bari and you need to fly overseas. Renting at the destination is not an option and neither is buying a horn once you get there.

Let's say you have a bari and already have a WJ case and you bubble-wrap the heck out of the horn itself.
Might as well stop there, because if you bubble-wrap the horn, you aren't going to get it back into a WJ case without seriously compressing the interior padding, which tends to defeat the purpose of padding it in the first place.

I've been in this situation, and the ONLY thing I would do in this case is get an Anvil or a crate to go over the outside of the case, and then SHIP IT. Carrier liability for lost or damaged baggage on international flights is strictly limited by international treaties, so if you end up with a damaged-beyond-repair horn, you might find yourself completely at the mercy of the airline with no legal recourse beyond the $.15/pound (or whatever that number is now) limitation.

My choice in that situation, by the way, was to leave the bari at home. These things cost a fortune, and I'm just not willing to risk it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts