Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm wondering how people are checking their baritones when you fly. I've used an Anvil case for years that I had built for this purpose but by today's standards it's technically over the maximum weight limit that most airlines must accept and so they may refuse to check it in at all. This would not be good obviously. So after having had some mixed experiences back-lining baritones; I'm looking at other options for bringing my own and wondering what's out there as far as cases go that have been road tested. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
ok, report the post and consolidate, this forum is huge enough as it is, and multi posts will get answered by the same people with the same answers

BAM cases have been rumoured to be fine in checking. I've always been able to take the instrument on the plane. I try to fly obscure times just to help, but almost all airlines have a policy for guitars, and since a bari case isn't all that much bigger than a bass guitar case most of them will allow you to put it in the closet up front. If worse comes to worse you can gate check it, but I'd only do that in the BAM or maybe the SKb *haven't seen one in person, so can't directly comment*

hope that helps

Oh, and the last time I flew, it was with my Yami 62 bari in the mondo stock case and they let me take it on the plane from LAX to North Carolina

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Briggan,
Long time, no see - hope you're well..
I've copied from previous post re travelling with my bari - here it is.
Lisa xo
------------------------------------------------
I travel with my "The Martin" bari to Europe (from NY) a couple of times a year, and domestically quite a few times a year (I'm the bari player for the Diva Jazz Orchestra). I've been using a BAM case for a few years - I bought one about 6 months after they came out.
I GATE-CHECK the horn - this is the key. This means I carry it through security - it fits through the X-ray machine - and carry it to the door of the plane and leave it where the baby strollers go - it gets a pink gate-check tag at either check-in or at the gate - depending on the airline.. It is hand-carried to a separate luggage chamber & at the end of the flight, it gets hand-carried back up to the door of the plane. If you travel on a non-American airline, they let you bring it on board and store it in the coat closet. Sometimes (but much rarer) the American companies will let you do that too..
I've never had damage on an international flight, but twice on a returning Delta/Northworst flight to LGA, it was put on the belt instead, and I had to get repairs. That was twice in about 100 flights since I've had the BAM case.
Best of luck and have a great tour!
Lisa Parrott

·
Registered
244 Posts
Despite opinions to the contrary posted here, by some, I have had great luck (SO FAR)
with my SKB, purchased about a year ago, with additional foam pieces when checking it through. Additionally, the gorillas at T.S.A. can easily unlock it to make sure it is not a shoulder fired missile, since it has approved locks, so they don't need to "jimmy" it, like other cases I have used.
I, too, have a great ANVIL, which I have retired for the reasons you mention.
In 16 flights, no damage. So far....
Hope this will help.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Admin Note:

Thread merged with another on same topic - The discussion will lekey generate more pertinent answers if left here in the Eb Bari forum rather than in the case forum.

·
1,607 Posts
The last time I flew, the airline absolutely refused to let me gate check my bari. I had it in a hard shell SKB golf bag case, so that might have been why. On the other hand, if I had brought it in a smaller case and they refused, I would likely have ended up with an unplayable bari. It's too bad airlines don't have a consistent policy on musical instruments...

·
4,160 Posts
Thta's cuz you took it in a golf case. They're fine if you get a small case and a big golf case, they aren't going anywhere in there. If you bring it in the normal case for it, they'll check em. If not just throw a big enough bitch fit. I bring it in the stock Yamaha case, which is amazing btw. I won't bring my WJ just because it won't stand up in the closet.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
908 Posts
Re: Flying with a baritone (what case for checking)... and how?

Most airlines now have a "one piece of luggage" policy and charge a lump sum for any additional piece (in particular for intnl flight, in economy). Do you declare your bari by checking in or do you simply bring it to the gate, hoping for the best ?
J

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi Briggan, nowadays i also use a BAM for my Bari and so far have always managed to take both that and my Alto on to the plane with me........make sure you have a couple of your CD's with you to prove you are a pro-player....this normally clinches the deal for me. Where will you be playing in Europe? as i would like to catch you live....ps. nice new CD with Andrew (Drury)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hey Briggan,

I've got the BAM, and last time that they forced me to check my horn it sustained some damage. (It was dropped and the body twisted a bit, requiring body and tone hole straightening.) Luckily the Airline ponied up for the repairs, but you're best off going with a flight case. Whenever Mats Gustafsson comes to North America he always brings his Baritone in a leather gig bag, which he always manages to carry on. Mats is more of a charmer than I, though. He did, however, use my Baritone last time he was in Vancouver so that he could bring his Tenor.

I really enjoy your playing. I've never heard you play baritone, though. Any records that are particular favourites of yours that you play baritone on?

PS. Choose European Airlines first, American airlines as second options and Canadian airlines never, in terms of ability to carry on large instruments.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On talking with a few different bari players that fly out of Toronto , Canada, we have all come to the same conclusion. It's not the case, it's the customs officers that damage the horns. they take them out of the case searching for drugs and and they drop the horns. When you get home, you think that the case was at fault, yet there seems to be no damage to the case. It's the customs peole that are causing the problems, both in Canada and the U.S.
So whether it's a Bamm or a W.J. case or whatever, it's these people that are causing a lot of problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
mike manning has the best and most checkable case available. and its small enough to fit in any planes overhead compartments. even the little commuter jets. ive done it many times.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I GATE-CHECK the horn - this is the key. This means I carry it through security - it fits through the X-ray machine - and carry it to the door of the plane and leave it where the baby strollers go - it gets a pink gate-check tag at either check-in or at the gate - depending on the airline.. It is hand-carried to a separate luggage chamber & at the end of the flight, it gets hand-carried back up to the door of the plane.
I agree, if that's what would happen, then your saxophone would stand a better chance of surviving. But when travelling recently, I was appalled to look at that rolling ladder contraption where the gate checked items descend from the plane, and see that it was equipped with a chute. Baby strollers and other easily carried items go down the way you describe. If I had gate checked my bari in its original case, it might have gone the way you describe.

When my case came back up to the plane, the SKB case had been subjected to some kind of impact that sheared off a latch and bent the valance open on one end. My bari was of course unplayable pending extensive repair. I don't think I would recommend gate check, because you'll go down the chute (if you're lucky - did mine make it to the end of the chute, or fall off midway down?) Nor would I recommend the SKB case: it didn't fit well, it was of cheap Chinese manufacture, and doesn't look to me like it provides the key support to the upper body. I have a '50s King, probably the worst case for fit, and I really don't have a good idea how a case could totally support a bari as required, but I don't think this is it. It's relatively light and cheap, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts