Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

The Embraer 145 is, as you may know, a small plane that has around 50 seats. I have not travelled in one of those carrying my saxophone, an alto by the way.

I have read than a Protec Countoured has fit there. What about a Selmer Flight Case. Will it fit?

What do you recomend?

View attachment 27159

All the best,

JI

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I have a limited experience flying in these and the larger(175) version as a passenger. I don't think any alto case will fit in the overhead. Better use something sturdy you can check. I know my standard carry-on suitcase will not fit and must be checked.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have not tried to take my sax on one of these planes, but have flown in them many times. There is an overhead bin only on one side (over the side that has two seats instead of one). The overhead bin space tapers to a thin vertical clearance in the back (by "back" I mean the part of the bin farthest from the bin's entrance at the aisle - I am not talking about the back of the plane). I have a laptop bag that will not fit lengthwise in one of these bins, and this laptop bag is smaller than most carry-ons. You can't put a rectangular box shaped object lengthwise in that bin if it is 10 inches (25cm) high along its back edge. Even 8 inches (20cm) along the back edge might be too high to fit.

Image 4 of 6 of the "click to zoom" images at http://www.wwbw.com/Protec-Contoured-Alto-Sax-PRO-PAC-Case-541078-i1151535.wwbw shows a black case opened up with a sax inside it. That picture makes me think that particular case will not fit in the overhead bin of an ERJ145.

On Continental (Express) the flight attendants are assertive about looking for carry-on bags that won't fit in the overhead bin of these planes, and they will not let try to stow it under the seat ahead of you with the rest of it sticking out on the floor between your feet. So they would make you gate check it, which is probably the last thing you want to see take place.

It might be possible to make some special arrangement with your airline, but I have never tried to do this so I have no experience in this area.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
An alto won't fit in the overhead bins. Your best bet is to gate check the horn. I've taken my soprano on these planes, and even though they fit in the overhead, the flight attendant oftentimes let me put it in the closet.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanxs for the Reply's...

I talked with the Airline... I had to buy a seat for the horn.

So, instead of four, we are going five, my wife, my two daughters and my horn.

I wanted to take my xoloitzcuintle, but no way a dog can go in the cabin...:cry:

And there is no way I could allow my dog to go with the cargo...

Here is Benito:

View attachment 27190

All the best to all,

JI

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It Fit!!!

No seat had to be payed. The horn fit as in any other compartment of Aeromexico's planes, the airline I flew to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, mostly Boeings 737-700, The plane was indeed an Embraer 145 with 50 passengers capacity. One seat and two seats configuration.

I guess it was the airline specifications, but the Selmer Flight Alto Case with my horn was perfect inside the regular overhead bins.

The first flight, it was so bad you could not tell... so much turbulence... really, really bad. Kids crying, vomiting.... aggghhh..... Such a small plane through big, big heavy rain clouds I had a very bad time.

Today we arrived home in a sunny day... perfect flight, and met my beloved dog Benito after a weak without him. :)

JI

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Re: It Fit!!!

I flew from Houston to Oaxaca on the same Embraer (no sax), but it was a scary, scary flight into Oaxaca--rain, turbulence, and a ton of fear!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Should have fit in an RJ145 in a Protec case. I flew mine back from JAX in the overhead on an RJ.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should have fit in an RJ145 in a Protec case. I flew mine back from JAX in the overhead on an RJ.
My impression is that a Protec Contoured would have fit perfectly, but I think every airline may have different specifications for its overhead cabins.

My best,

JI

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have flown on planes this size quite a few times with my Tenor in a BAM Softpack and it fit in the overhead compartment.

A extra seat for an alto? Really? I just don't think that is right.

Edit: It fit!!! I knew it should!!! :)

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He has exquisite tastes as I hear he's from Paris. :bluewink:
He is used to Tequila... we live in Mexico. Mescal (mezcal) is good here, too.

By the way, an excellent cello player, one of the World's best, Carlos Prieto, who is Mexican, has an extremely rare, antique, and valuable instrument. I think there's even a book about that cello. Being a big instrument and tired of explaining every time about the need to buy a seat for it, it has papers as a traveler. Its name is Chelo Prieto. Chelo, which in Spanish is pronounced exactly as cello, is a very common name in Mexico.

I guess many may have a name for its instrument, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts