Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It's a straightforward tune, easy to blow over; learn the melody thoroughly (it's an easy melody) and then start listening to quality musicians' improvisations. I am not familiar with the Sinatra recording(s) of this tune (one of his most popular ones) but there are likely to be some short solos of extremely high quality on those recordings (Sinatra did not record with weak players!). Same, probably, with any other recordings of top singers - and I am guessing that there are a lot of recordings of name-brand singers doing this tune.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,213 Posts
Agreed about learning the song.
Specifically the Sinatra version.

The definitive Fly Me. Sinatra.

Recommended: instead of listening to solos, copy Frank singing it.
Note for note, with all of the nuances that you can cover.

That would be a great start.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
If you can learn to phrase like Sinatra you'll be light years ahead of the norm. Great idea. Then arppegiate all the chords over and over until you have the harmony memorized also. K
Agreed about learning the song.
Specifically the Sinatra version.

The definitive Fly Me. Sinatra.

Recommended: instead of listening to solos, copy Frank singing it.
Note for note, with all of the nuances that you can cover.

That would be a great start.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,565 Posts
Sinatra is my gold standard for phrasing vocal tunes: I always see if he recorded a version when I’m learning a new one. Tony Bennett and Ella are great to sing with too! Improv ideas: take the horn out of your mouth and sing a chorus into a recorder. Learn that and see what ideas you’re already generating. Then listen to other versions you dig for ideas. Run the head in all twelve keys without writing it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts