Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on it. I can do it for a little bit but not for more than a few seconds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Practice will get you your results. Also, relax and let that tongue flap!!! Also play around with the shape inside your mouth. Practice making that motor noise with your tongue without playing the sax .

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I believe the ability or inability to roll one's R's (fluttertongue) is genetic. For some people it is a physical impossibility.

Steve

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
qwerty said:
I believe the ability or inability to roll one's R's (fluttertongue) is genetic. For some people it is a physical impossibility.

Steve
It took awhile, but I learned to do it.

Also, there are two techniques of fluttertongue. One is done with the tongue tip. The other is the 'French' R, where the flutter is done between the tongue arch and the soft pallette. The latter works better on sax, IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
hakukani said:
It took awhile, but I learned to do it.

Also, there are two techniques of fluttertongue. One is done with the tongue tip. The other is the 'French' R, where the flutter is done between the tongue arch and the soft pallette. The latter works better on sax, IMO.

Both statements hold true for me too.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I always practice alone...

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,188 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
chitownjazz said:
You and Woody Allen (reference is to a line in Love and Death).
Somehow this reminds me of another Woody Allen line: "I don't mind dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I know a fellow sax major here that has trouble flutter tonguing with the tip of the tongue, but has learned how to flutter tongue with the soft palate method described by hakukani. If you want to learn the other way, all I can say is practice the "rrrrrrruffles have rrrrrridges" theme. With patience, it will come to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hakukani said:
The other is the 'French' R, where the flutter is done between the tongue arch and the soft pallette. The latter works better on sax, IMO.
I am french ... so that is what I am doing naturally :D Anyway flutter tongue works quite well for me though I never really worked it (double-tonguing is another story, quite a different motion ...).

When you are away from your gear practise with the thumb in you mouth. Take care of the distance between your rolling tongue and the thumb. It may be very closed to but should not touch it. You may feel it "coming" better that way better than with the mpc.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,226 Posts
Curiously enough flutter tonguing has always been easy for me, but I just can't get the "sing-a-long" growl technique. So I've worked on increasing the speed of the flutter tongue and making it more subtle so it approaches the growl. I think the real secret to any of these special effects is not to overuse them. So it really stands out when you do use it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
In response to Dylan's original post...

Yes, Dylan. Flutter tonguing is possible. As you get older you may find that there are other things in life that you can do longer with practice. Flutter tonguing is just one of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
jrvinson45 said:
Yes, Dylan. Flutter tonguing is possible. As you get older you may find that there are other things in life that you can do longer with practice. Flutter tonguing is just one of them.
For instance, treading water comes to mind.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
jrvinson45 said:
For instance, treading water comes to mind.
I don't have to practice treading water. I'm much more naturally buoyant than when I was younger.:D

Yes, you French guys have the advantage. My French teacher was most impressed with my accent and pronunciation. It's the verbs that did me in.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts